Greystones - Staithes, North Yorkshire, The North York Moors, England - Sleeps 9
Greystones dates back to the 17th Century and is a charming character Grade II listed holiday home that can accommodate parties of up to nine guests. It is located in the picturesque ancient fishing village of Staithes on the North Yorkshire Heritage Coastline, conveniently placed on the High Street with excellent amenities on the doorstep.
Formerly a village inn, this delightful holiday home was reportedly once a hub for local smuggling activity but today offers guests a spacious holiday retreat with everything provided for self-catering in style and comfort. Opposite the house is a tiny alleyway leading down to the beck where Staithes’ few remaining fishermen moor their colourful boats.
Holidaying in the old historic part of Staithes offers the chance to experience the true charm and character of this popular coastal village. You can step back in time as you stroll along the cobbled streets which lead you to the beach and harbour (just one hundred metres from Greystones), passing several cafes, two pubs, a popular fish restaurant, art gallery and also a good selection of interesting and useful small shops along the way.
There are plenty of things to interest all ages in Staithes but for those who can tear themselves away, bustling Whitby is within easy driving distance (eleven miles away), providing an even greater selection of attractions.
Staithes is perfectly placed within the North York Moors National Park where you will find an abundance of great days out, stunning beaches, the famous North York Moors Steam Railway and miles of open moorland providing a vast outdoor playground for outdoor adventures.
With its beautiful sea views and ever changing horizon, you quickly realise why Staithes has attracted so many visitors and artists over the last hundred years or so. A visit to the beach behind the harbour provides an enjoyable place for families to relax in the summer months. Captain Cook and Staithes Heritage Centre gives a good insight into the local connections with Captain James Cook along with local history and customs. Take a boat trip out to sea and do some fishing or visit the Lifeboat Station and discover the tales of numerous heroic rescues that have taken place out at sea over the years. Explore the Cleveland Way with its fantastic walks where you can take in the seascape from the cliff tops along the way.
Whether you decide to simply relax locally and enjoy the many attractions available on your doorstep, or explore the area fully, Greystones provides a fantastic retreat and great place to base yourself.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Beach Nearby
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Accessible via Public Transport
- The street leads into the hall which takes you through into the sitting room, snug, cupboard (where you can store coats and wellies) and WC. There are also stairs leading up to the first floor and steps to the hallway at the back of the property, as well as the coal store and kitchen/dining area.
- Sitting room with comfy seating for eight guests (or nine if you are happy to be snug!), television with Sky+, DVD player, sound system and fire place which creates a nice feature and cosy environment on chilly nights.
- Snug where you can escape for some peace and quiet. This delightful room has a huge old range (not in use), sofa and a small table plus chairs.
- Dining kitchen with table and chairs, plenty of cupboards for storage and worktops, electric hob and oven, fridge, freezer, microwave and plenty of crockery, pots, pans and utensils.
- En-suite master bedroom which is reached by a small flight of stairs off the main landing. This is a very spacious room in a secluded part of the house with windows at each end, king-size bed and en-suite with large shower cubicle (including a drench shower), WC and wash basin.
- Light and airy spacious double bedroom further along the landing at the front of the house with king-size bed.
- Also at the front of the property is the twin bedroom with two single beds (full size to sleep adults) at each end of the room, plus a little television (including video).
- Shower room located in between he double and twin bedrooms with big cubicle including a drench shower, WC and hand basin.
- Separate cloak room with WC.
- Stairs lead from the first floor landing to the second floor (there is a low beam on the way up to the second floor landing so you must watch your head!)
- Single bedroom with ceiling that slopes steeply and exposed beams.
- The king-size bedroom is the largest of them all with exposed beams and sloping ceilings adding to the charm.
- Bathroom with WC, hand basin and shower cubicle accessed via a few steps off the landing (there is a doorway with limited headroom that you will need to duck under to access).
- Laundry room with washing machine and tumbler dryer.
Additional information: Pets are welcome at a small extra charge of £20. Beds will be made up with fresh bed linen on your arrival. Electricity and heating (exc logs but inc coal) are included. You will need to bring your own bathroom towels, unless you have pre-booked towels.
Short breaks: Short breaks and mid week breaks are available all year round (apart from school holidays) - please contact the owner regarding prices.
Car parking: There is no private parking but car parking available near by. Please speak to the owner or visit their website for full parking details.
Low Season from £740
Mid Season from £920
High Season from £1080
Peak Season £1200
Star Rating: 4 Star
Pets: Yes, 1 dog
Changeover Day: Flexible
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 9 people in 5 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Twin, 2 Doubles, 1 Single)
Group booking details:
All male groups: Yes
All female groups: Yes
Catering Available: No
Owner: Claire Wainman, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Greystones joined Independent Cottages in June 2010