Dons Barn - Lavenham, Suffolk, England - Sleeps 2
Dons Barn was once an early 1700’s Winnowing Barn but has now been converted into a romantic cosy holiday cottage which retains much of its original character and beauty. It is set within rolling countryside and has a delightful view over the orchard through massive barn door windows. Dons Barn is located at The Old Grove Farm and is one of six exception character cottages positioned around two central courtyards - offering a good degree of privacy and seclusion.
The farm is designed in an interesting enclosed, double quadrangle, giving hints of a possible monastic history. The large mature gardens surrounding the property can be enjoyed by guests for relaxing in or having a barbecue on a nice summer's evening. They lead straight onto open farmland and benefit from lovely views.
The unique interiors and original furniture of the cottages along with the lovely old Persian rugs and open fires give a very special relaxed feeling. This being made even more special by the beautiful furnishings, attention to detail and preservation of so many original features.
The local area is charming with small pretty villages nestling in the river valleys on all sides including the beautiful and perfectly preserved mediaeval villages of:
- Lavenham – once an important ‘Wool Town’ with its legacy of grand rural Architecture.
- Long Melford – renowned as an antique hunters paradise with two Stately Homes (Kentwell Hall & Melford Hall).
- Kersey – the original ‘Old English Village’ with the ford in the high street.
- Chelsworth – famous for its village ‘open-garden’ weekends.
- And many others like Bildeston, Eleigh's, Boxford, Bures and Nayland.
Whether you enjoy walking, cycling, relaxing in beautiful countryside or want to explore this lovely area, Don's Barn is the perfect place for two guests.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
Dons Barn Continued
- Living area - Generous, comfortable sitting area with enormous Kelim covered Knoll sofa facing a big inglenook fireplace with a large open log fire. The room faces onto the orchard and has a 2 storey Barn Window. The floor has the original Suffolk White bricks and period furniture. TV & DVD player, CD/radio/cassette sound system, selection of CDs and tapes as well as books and games.
- Kitchen - The kitchen is hand made from oak and a massive millstone, with original cupboards, it has a Belfast sink, gas hobs and an electric oven. It has a window overlooking the herb garden.
- Bathroom - The bathroom is newly made with a very spacious shower.
- Bedroom - The bedroom has a king-size bed with quality mattress, duvet and linen, a high beamed ceiling and large hand-built wardrobe made from reclaimed paneling.
- Dons Barn is completely self contained with its own central heating. It looks out onto a private sunny herb garden at the back, where you can have a quiet breakfast and overlooks the Orchard gardens, where you can lounge about or enjoy a barbeque - or just lie in bed and watch the sun setting.
- The owners provide quality mattresses, duvets, linen and towels, Highchair, baby-cot, TV and TV DVD player. Music tapes, CD's all basics like fresh roast coffee (plus instant coffee) tea, sugar, milk, bacon, eggs, butter, local Lavenham bread, tomatoes and fresh herbs from the garden.
- Well-behaved pets are always welcome please bring suitable bedding and remember not to let your pet sleep on any furniture or damage any part of the gardens or property, we have tame ducks, cats and other dogs so your pet must be kept on a lead while here but there are lovely walks straight from the gardens. Pets must never be left alone as they fret and howl.
- There are a number of bikes free for guest’s use.
- Two ‘top of the range’ three seater aluminium, ‘Canadian Canoes’ with all accessories are available for hire.
Please note: Weekend and midweek breaks are available all year.
Low Season from £399
Mid Season from £471
High Season from £639
Peak Season £639
Star Rating: 4 Star
Pets: Yes, 1 dog
Children: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Flexible
Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 2 people in 1 bedroom (1 Double)
Owner: Mark Scott, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Dons Barn joined Independent Cottages in Oct 2006
Owner's Other Properties
View availability for this and our other 28 beautiful cottages by clicki