Cocketts - Mendlesham Green, Stowmarket, Suffolk, England - Sleeps 6-9
Cocketts is an exceptionally attractive 16th century listed Suffolk farmhouse, sitting in a peaceful position at the end of a mile long no-through country lane. Nestling amongst extensive grounds (approximately an acre), Cocketts sleeps up to six guests in three bedrooms (or nine with the use of the futon beds in the attic room), and offers those who stay the opportunity to experience a taste of country life in an enchanting retreat packed full of original character with beams, inglenook fireplace housing a wood burner and wonkey floors - all adding to the charm.
Perfectly mixing traditional features with modern day living, a high standard of comfort is assured with plenty of conveniences including internet access, iPod docking, a den in the attic with games and a PS3 to entertain the little ones and crisp linens on comfy beds to ensure a good night's sleep.
Enjoy chatting about the day's adventures over supper in the farmhouse kitchen with table large enough to seat eight, then retire to the sitting room and relax in front of the roaring log fire. When the weather is warm, find a quiet spot in the garden or orchard to relax with a good book and enjoy alfresco dining on the patio with a glass of wine whilst soaking up the lovely views. The little ones will love petting the owner's pygmy goats, Nancy and Elvis, who live next door and exploring the garden. There is a little wooden playhouse with outside toys in the enclosed area which is safe for smaller children and a swing and picnic bench in the orchard.
A haven for wildlife, there are plenty of birds to spot in the garden and fruit that guests are welcome to help themselves to when in season including sloes, walnuts from the magnificent tree, apples and quince. Countryside walks can be enjoyed straight from the front door and the quiet leafy lanes are a pleasure to explore by bike.
Whilst feeling that you are in the heart of Suffolk countryside, Cocketts affords easy access to the areas many attractions including the charming medieval market town of Bury St Edmunds. Enjoy your days discovering the quintessentially English local villages, or the popular seaside towns dotted along the heritage coastline. Constable Country is within easy reach by car, as are the cities of Norwich and Cambridge and there are a host of traditional pubs, excellent restaurants and farmers markets for those who want to sample local produce.
Suffolk is a wonderful holiday destination at any time of the year. A place where you can indulge in clean air, wide open skies and a beautiful coastline surrounded by rolling countryside. From fish and chips on the beach at Aldeburgh, to the thunder of hooves at Newmarket, or a long leisurely pub lunch in a picture postcard village, the choices are endless and plentiful!
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Entrance porch at the front with room for shoes and boots leading into...
- Sitting room with comfy seating, flat screen television, DVD player and wonderful inglenook fireplace housing a log burner. This leads to...
- Well appointed farmhouse kitchen with plenty of space to cook and relax, beams on the ceiling, oven, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, microwave and dining area with table and eight chairs - a lovely place to enjoy supper at the end of the day.
- Laundry room with lots of space, equipped with a washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Shower room with hand basin and WC.
- Master bedroom with king-size bed, original fireplace as a decorative feature, built in wardrobe and small dressing room with chest of drawers.
- Additional king-size bedroom with zip'n'link bed which can also be made up as a twin by arrangement. Chest of drawers and wardrobe provide plenty of storage for clothes - both rooms afford wonderful views.
- Family bathroom with power shower over the bath, wash basin and WC.
- Attic Den which is sure to be a hit with the little ones including toys, books and games, along with a television, PS3 and a double and single futon which can be used as a sofa or additional sleeping if required taking the maximum capacity to nine guests (although eight is more comfy!). This area leads into...
- Twin bedroom with vaulted ceiling and drawers for storing clothes.
Outside: There is a patio with outdoor furniture for alfresco dining which catches the last of the sun at the end of the day. An enclosed area within the garden provides a 'safe' place for children to play (this is where the wooden playhouse is located). Outside of this the garden is laid mainly to lawn with an orchard with mature trees, pond (children must be supervised), a hammock, swings and plenty of space for playing games.
Additional information: A welcome pack is provided upon arrival. Dogs are welcome by arrangement. Short breaks (two night minimum) available. No smoking inside the cottage. Bed linen, towels, electricity and heating included in the price. Whilst the stairs to the upper two floors are not ridiculously steep, they are steeper than normal so may not be suitable for those with limited mobility - please speak to the owner.
Low Season from £560
Mid Season from £680
High Season from £810
Peak Season £1080
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Friday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6-9 people in 3 bedrooms (2 Kings & 1 Twin + a double & single futon in attic rm)
Owner: Alison Williams, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Cocketts joined Independent Cottages in June 2015
Short breaks available, please enquire. Also, discount for couples may be available.
Last Minute / Late Availability Offers
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 21st September 2017
Approximate Location of Cocketts
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book