Onderneming Barge - Chelmondiston, Suffolk, England - Sleeps 6+2
Onderneming Barge is the perfect antidote to stress. The 100-year old barge has been sympathetically restored and converted into luxury holiday accommodation for up to 8 people. There’s even room for up to three well-behaved pets on board so no one needs to miss out on the fun. Onderneming is moored at Pin Mill on the River Orwell, and you won’t find a better location anywhere in Suffolk. The views are spectacular, and it’s conveniently close to a favourite local pub, the Butt and Oyster.
Managed by the National Trust, Pin Mill is a well-kept secret by those in the know. Start the day with a walk through the woods that flourish on the shoreline, which begins at the steps behind the pub. It’s a lovely walk whatever the season or the weather, especially when you know you have a sunny deck or a cosy cabin to greet you on your return. Make sure you have your binoculars handy as there are lots of different bird species who make the river and the riverbank their home. Pill Mill helped provide the detail for two of the “Swallows and Amazons” stories, and the view you see is virtually unchanged to that which inspired Arthur Ransome to write the classic British tales.
Pin Mill is tiny, with little more than an excellent pub, gallery, and yacht club. It’s half a mile from Chelmondiston village where there are a few shops and a post office, and five miles from Ipswich, which is a vibrant city with a fascinating past as the oldest continuously inhabited town in England, and a bright future thanks to its natural beauty and everlasting appeal.
You will certainly want to spend time exploring the Shotley Peninsula, named after Shotley village, which is around a 30 minute drive from Onderneming. Shotley Marina was built at the intersection of the rivers Orwell and Stour. There’s a pub there called The Shipwreck, which is ideal for lunch on a sunny day. It’s a fantastic place to walk and cycle, and thanks to the owners arranging for free bike use, it’s simple to do both.
Whether you spend your days exploring the area or sitting on the deck enjoying the magnificent 180-degree river views, the luxurious surrounding of Onderneming will make it difficult for you to ever leave.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Waterside Location
- iPod Docking
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- CD Player
- Horse Riding Nearby
Onderneming Barge Continued
Onderneming may be over one hundred years old, but its expert restoration has made it into a very modern and unique Suffolk holiday property. Your every comfort has been considered by the owners, from the layout of the bespoke galley to the quality of the mattresses and pillows. If you thought houseboats were cramped, think again! There is ample room for up to 8 guests with three bedrooms, three bathrooms, two saloons and two galleys.
- Self-catering for large groups is simple when you have two galleys (kitchens). Each has bespoke cabinets that use every inch of available space and provide lots of room for storing and preparing food.
- The combined living/dining area is furnished with comfortable leather couches, a padded bench, and wooden dining tables that complement the counter tops and original floorboards. It's cosy and welcoming without feeling crowded, and a great place for meals with family and friends. The sofa opens into a double bed.
- A log burning stove helps keep the saloon warm and provides an attractive focal point.
- A second galley and saloon is upstairs in the wheelhouse. It benefits from amazing views and is a wonderful place for morning coffee or an evening aperitif.
- A snug, or kids den, leads off the upstairs galley so you can keep an ear on the little ones while you're preparing food.
- Three double bedrooms are all similarly furnished with fitted storage, high-quality mattresses and pillows, and all the little luxurious touches that make guests feel so welcome.
- One of the double bedrooms has an en-suite wet room. There are two further bathrooms, one with a bath and the other with a shower.
Additional Information: There is WiFi and central heating throughout the property. The owners have arranged for off-street parking at a nearby boatyard, and there is a small pay and display car park close by. All linen and utilities are included in the cost. Up to three well-behaved pets are welcome by prior arrangement with the owner. No smoking. Short breaks are possible depending on availability.
Low Season from £1000
Mid Season from £1240
High Season from £1520
Peak Season £1800
Pets: Yes 3 or more dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Flexible
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6+2 people in 3 bedrooms (3 Doubles + sofa bed)
Group booking details:
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Carl Scott, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Onderneming Barge joined Independent Cottages in Aug 2017