Hacton Cruck - Preston on Wye, Herefordshire, England - Sleeps 4+2
Hacton Cruck is a rare example of a medieval hall set in three acres of pasture and orchard on the outskirts of Preston-on-Wye, conveniently located in between Hay-on-Wye and Hereford. An award winning restoration, the cottage has been brought into the 21st without losing any of its original character. The house accommodates four comfortably in double and twin bedrooms, living space is in the atmospheric hall with its minstrel’s gallery.
Hacton is a haven for wildlife - the owner has recorded over sixty species of birds on the farm - the area offers peace and tranquillity, with just one immediate neighbouring property being that of Dily, the housekeeper of the cottage. A network of footpaths leads from the edge of the property for farm walks. The Yew Tree country inn is in the village and ten minutes walk away.
As you walk or drive through peaceful country lanes, it is difficult to believe that up until the time of Hacton’s construction in the early C15th, this gentle countryside was fiercely contested. The numerous castles dotted along the Welsh Borders are evidence of this, yet the bucolic setting is, these days, nothing short of idyllic. Within half an hour you can be wandering through Hereford and admiring its magnificent cathedral, or browsing one of the many second-hand book and antique stores in Hay-on-Wye. A little further away and you have a playground of wilderness to explore; the Forest of Dean, Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons, and market towns like Monmouth, Ross- on Wye and Ledbury. Tintern Abbey and Llanthony Priory vie for the title of most romantic ruin. Herefordshire’s black and white village trail is another draw.
Whether or not you time your visit to coincide with world-class festivals like the Hay-on-Wye Literary Festival, Abergavenny Food Festival or Greenman Festival, there is always something to see, do, eat or drink nearby.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Kingsize Bed
Hacton Cruck Continued
Heating is supplied by a combination of underfloor heating of the flagstone floor in the cooler months and a wood burning stone which may be used at any time of year.
Downstairs is taken up by a spacious living, dining area, and kitchen in the open hall, and twin bedroom.
- Sitting room with log burning stove, comfortable sofas, oak panelling, and dining table and chairs for four adults. The television and DVD player are in the sitting room.
- Traditional lime plastered walls are decorated with tapestries in a nod to the cottage’s medieval roots.
- Eating, dining, and cooking area all in one large space with a vaulted ceiling where you can see the original beams which give the cottage its name.
- Kitchen includes induction hob, dishwasher, oven, fridge and freezer. The cottage is well stocked with plates, cutlery and glasses, along with a range of cooking and cleaning equipment.
- There is a washing machine under the stairs for guests’ use.
- Twin bedroom features original beams, tapestry wall-hangings, two single beds, and a window with lovely garden views.
- Modern shower room equipped with a large shower, WC and hand basin.
- The double bedroom on the first floor is furnished with a king-sized oak bed.
- A fitted bed cupboard is at the end of the gallery. The double bed is full-width but four inches (10cm) shorter than a standard double. It is therefore ideal for children (who love the secret “Harry Potter” atmosphere) or additional adults happy to sacrifice space for privacy.
- Spacious garden.
- Sunken patio area with barbeque, dining table, chairs and parasol.
- Private parking for two cars.
Additional Information: The property has broadband internet access. No smoking. No pets. Short breaks are available. All towels and bed linen are provided and included in the price together with electricity and logs for the wood burner. Four night midweek or three night weekend breaks available from £360 low season to £610 high season.
Low Season from £500
Mid Season from £710
High Season from £930
Peak Season £1040
Changeover Day: Mon/Fri
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4+2 people in 2 bedrooms (1 Double, 1 Twin, 1 Bed Cupboard)
Owner: Phil Williams, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Hacton Cruck joined Independent Cottages in April 2017
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 10th August 2017