Bwthyn Ger Afon - Tanygrisiau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, Snowdonia, Wales - Sleeps 2
Formerly a miner's cottage, Bwthyn Ger Afon sleeps two guests and dates back to the 18th Century. It is nicely positioned in the Snowdonian village of Tanygrisiau in North Wales and provides a welcoming romantic hideaway for couples wanting to visit the National Park. Furnished and equipped to a high standard, the dog-friendly cottage is a real 'home from home' at any time of the year with a pretty garden for the summer months and wood burning stove for cosy winter breaks. Bwthyn Ger Afon sits in a peaceful position, in a row of cottages that afford views over the fields and river. Whilst the position is quiet, it is within easy walking distance of the amenities of the village and also the Ffestiniog Steam Train railway station.
Surrounded by spectacular scenery, the village affords a sheltered position with the Moelwyn mountains providing a rocky backdrop, protecting it from the harsh winter winds. Its southerly aspect offers a somewhat milder climate, which is a pleasant surprise considering the height that the village sits at within Snowdonia.
Locally there are superb walks, majestic lakes and beautiful waterfalls to be explored directly from the cottage front door, along with good opportunities for golf and fishing. There is a village pub within a twenty minute walk from Bwthyn Ger Afon or closer still is The Lakeside café (just a two minute stroll).
Blaenau Ffestiniog, one of the areas historic slate mining towns is just a mile and a half away where you will find a good choice of places to eat, shops, pubs, petrol station, leisure centre with pool and the renowned Ffestiniog Narrow Gauge Steam Railway - an award winning attraction and wonderful nostalgic way of discovering the beauty of the area.
Bwthyn Ger Afon is a superb retreat from which to explore Snowdonia and its many attractions. Llechwedd Slate Caverns are only a mile and a half away and Portmeirion, the famous Italianiate village is within easy driving distance and only eight miles. The numerous CADW heritage sites and beautiful beaches are under half an hour away by car, Snowdon is a similar distance and one of the country's top mountain biking centres (Coed y Brenin) is twelve miles from the cottage.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Waterside Location
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Accessible via Public Transport
Bwthyn Ger Afon Continued
- Open plan living area offering...
- Lounge area with exposed beams, an attractive chimney breast wall with slate hearth housing a multi fuel stove, LCD flat screen FreeSat television/DVD player and iPod docking.
- Dining area is comfortably appointed, ideal for those leisurely breakfasts and late romantic suppers!
- The kitchen area is well equipped with electric oven, induction hob, extractor, microwave, fridge with ice compartment and washer/dryer.
- Inner rear lobby area for storing coats and boots with a wall mounted radiator. External door to rear garden and inner door leading to...
- Bathroom with Welsh slate tiled flooring, 'his and hers' double ended bath with shower attachment above, wash basin, WC and wall mounted heater.
- Light and spacious king-size bedroom which has been well planned and thought out with couples in mind and incorporates a sitting area. The bedroom area has bedside tables, chest of drawers and wardrobe. The sitting area has a decorative cast iron fireplace, Lloyd Loom style chair to relax in and faux sheepskin rug.
Outside: There is a delightful front garden which has been paved/gravelled for low maintenance with garden bench, table and chairs. The front garden is gated and enclosed. At the rear of the property there is an enclosed courtyard with deep planted borders. Off-street parking available for one car opposite and additional parking on a 'first come, first served' basis.
Additional Information: In addition to the multi fuel stove, the cottage has electric radiators. Electricity, welcome pack of fuel (for the stove), bed linen, towels and tea towels included, along with a complimentary bottle of wine upon arrival to welcome you. Two well behaved dogs welcome but the owners ask that you bring dog beds, towels and blankets and ensure they are not allowed upstairs. The cottage is strictly no smoking. Short breaks (minimum of three nights) start from £170.00 subject to availability.
Please Note: The arrival time is 3pm onwards and guests are welcome to stay on until 10am on departure day.
Low Season from £235
Mid Season from £300
High Season from £370
Peak Season £435
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Saturday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 2 people in 1 bedroom (1 King)
Owner: Angie & Rich Aitkenhead, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Bwthyn Ger Afon joined Independent Cottages in Oct 2012
Owner's Other Properties
Ideally situated for all the attractions the area has to offer including Europe's largest zip zone and the Worlds largest underground trampoline!!
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 4th August 2017