Brow Top - Windermere, Cumbria, The Lake District, England - Sleeps 6
Brow Top is in one of the most sought after areas of the Lake District. Located on a quiet cul-de-sac with no through traffic, the townhouse features spectacular views of Windermere Lake. It provides ample space for up to six guests in three bedrooms less than a mile from Bowness and around a twenty minute walk from Windermere. The modern furnishings and superior finish provide a pleasing contrast to the timeless scenery and rugged mountains. It is the perfect choice for families and friends who want a comfortable base for exploring the southern Lake District and everything it has to offer.
Bowness is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Lake District National Park, and one of the benefits of Brow Top is that you can easily walk to its centre in ten to fifteen minutes. It caters well for both locals and tourists, offering an excellent choice of cafes, pubs and restaurants. Graze Cafe is a top choice for a relaxed brunch, while ChoccoBar’s menu is packed full of delicious ways to top up all those calories you’ve just used walking around the South Lakes, especially on a crisp winter day.
In addition to being a good place to stock up on food and basic supplies, Bowness is one of the main places to take a trip on Lake Windermere, either on one of the regular ferry or tour services or by hiring a boat to explore the lake under your own steam. You can also hire canoes and kayaks, though this is an activity we only recommend in the warmer months because the water can be freezing
Bowness is home to The World of Beatrix Potter. Not only did this British author create charming characters beloved worldwide, but she was also instrumental in protecting the stunning landscape and wildlife that so inspired her so that you can appreciate its beauty today. Blackwell House is another great place to visit in Bowness. The wonderfully restored Arts and Crafts house is one of the finest examples of its kind left standing in England.
A mile from Brow Top, Windermere is another beautiful town that is always busy with locals and visitors. It’s something of a magnet for cooks and kitchen gadget lovers because of the Lakeland flagship store (and cafe) that is there. Windermere is the terminus for the train from Kendal and Manchester, and its proximity to Brow Top means you can get around without a car.
The biggest reason most people visit the Lake District National Park is the incredible landscape. The glassy bodies of water that reflect the surrounding towering mountains will certainly leave their impression whether you discover them on foot, by bicycle, or by sailing the lakes themselves. At its widest, Windermere Lake is a mile from shore to shore and stretches more than 10.5 miles in length. You can get a fantastic view of it by walking to the top of Orrest Head. It’s a fairly steep half an hour walk, but the reward makes the effort worth it. The Brockhole Visitor Centre in Bowness is a good place to get advice and maps of local walking and cycling routes.
Other attractions around Bowness and Windermere include Hill Top, the farm where Beatrix Potter lived, Sizergh Castle and Gardens, Levens Hall in Kendal, Holker Hall and Leighton Hall.
It is impossible to convey the appeal of Bowness and Windermere in simple words or pictures. To truly experience the beauty and majesty of the Windermere Lake and the surrounding area, it is best to see it first hand by staying at Brow Top.
- Internet Access
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Golf Nearby
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- Kingsize Bed
- Accessible via Public Transport
Brow Top Continued
In addition to the excellent features at Brow Top, the owner has kindly arranged for guests to have use of the swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna at the nearby Windermere Hydro Hotel just a ten minute walk away.
- Entry into a hallway with space for shoes and cupboard for hanging coats out of the way.
- A doorway leads into a secure room for storing bikes and other equipment. There is a separate garage door which opens directly to the front of the house for ease of access.
- Stairs lead up to the combined living/dining room where the focal point is a large bow window that frames stunning views of Windermere Lake and the surrounding mountains.
- The living area features comfortable seating for up to six guests, a television and DVD player, and a selection of games thoughtfully provided for guests to use.
- The dining table easily seats six and is linked to the kitchen via a large hatch so that those preparing meals never feel cut off from the rest of the group.
- A fitted kitchen is very well equipped with everything to make self-catering a breeze including a dishwasher, microwave and electric oven and stove with extractor fan. There is also a washing machine and dryer.
- The family shower room is fully tiled and includes a shower, hand basin and WC.
There are three bedrooms and a family bathroom on the top floor.
- The master bedroom is at the rear of the property and has lovely garden views. The room is spacious and furnished with guests' comfort in mind. The king-size bed is made up with good quality sheets, there are bedside tables and reading lights, ample storage, and a hand basin with mirror. The room is large enough to accommodate a cot.
- The second bedroom has twin beds which can be zipped together to create a super king-size bed if you require. It is at the front of the house and has far-reaching views of the water and mountains. As with the master bedroom, it is furnished to a high standard.
- A third bedroom also enjoys lake and countryside views. It has a double bed, bedside tables and reading lights, and a fitted wardrobe.
- The family bathroom leads off the landing. It is fully tiled to give a boutique-hotel effect with a good-sized bath with shower above, hand basin, heated towel rail, and WC.
Outside: A door from the kitchen leads onto a private patio where there is a barbeque and garden furniture to seat six. There is parking on the street.
Additional information: There is WiFi and central heating throughout the property. Short breaks are possible depending on availability. All utilities, linen and towels are included. The Windermere Hydro Hotel will provide pool towels for guests when using the swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi. No smoking. No pets.
Low Season from £810
Mid Season from £900
High Season from £990
Peak Season £1080
Changeover Day: Flexible
Cheque, Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Double, 1 Twin)
Owner: Jane Hodgkinson, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Brow Top joined Independent Cottages in June 2017
Owner's Other Properties
Last Minute / Late Availability Offers
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 14th August 2017