Orphan Crag Cottage - Underbarrow, Kendal, Cumbria, The Lake District, England - Sleeps 6
Orphan Crag sleeps up to six guests and is a cosy welcoming holiday cottage that dates back to the 17th Century and still retains much of its historic character. With plenty of outside space (including lovely countryside views) to relax in the warmer months and a log burning stove for cosy winter breaks, the cottage is an ideal retreat at any time of the year.
Fully refurbished and modernised, the owners have beautifully preserved the original character of the cottage and mixed it with modern conveniences to provide an inviting self-catering environment that perfectly blends a high standard of comfort with traditional charm.
Nestling in a peaceful spot in the small Cumbrian village of Underbarrow, the cottage sits within the boundaries of the Lake District National Park so is within easy reach of the area's many attractions whilst affording a peaceful position away from the tourist honeypots. For those who enjoy walking, the surrounding area offers superb opportunities with the picturesque Lyth Valley just waiting to be explored. The area also has its fair share of good pubs and restaurants where you can gain refreshment after a long day walking. Indeed, The Black Labrador in the village is just a short stroll from the cottage and serves very good food, as does the Punchbowl in nearby Crosthwaite (under two miles) and The Wheatsheaf in Brigsteer which is a short car ride away.
The bustling historic market town of Kendal offers an excellent choice of shops, eating establishments and attractions and is a short distance away by car. Staveley is also nearby with its famous local Hawkshead Brewery, where you can take a tour and sample a pint on home soil or visit and join in the fun of the twice yearly Beer Festivals in spring and summer (normally in March and July).
Underbarrow is ideally placed at the head of Lyth Valley, an exceptionally sheltered pretty area that is famed for its damson orchards which are a picture in the spring when ablaze with blossom. In September you will find stalls alongside the road selling fruit and shops selling damson jam, gin and even ice cream!
For those wishing to explore the wider area, Windermere, Bowness and Ambleside are all within easy driving distance or venture a little further and visit Coniston, Hawkshead or explore the Cumbrian coastline or even the fringe villages of the Yorkshire Dales such as Dent and Ingleton.
With peace and tranquility on your doorstep and a multitude of attractions for great days out within easy reach, Orphan Crag Cottage is an ideal retreat for doing as little or as much as your heart desires.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Golf Nearby
- Washing Machine
- Kingsize Bed
Orphan Crag Cottage Continued
- Nicely presented sitting room with comfy seating, flat screen television, DVD player, electric fire for a cosy atmosphere at the flick of a switch and dual aspect windows providing nice views to the back and front of the cottage.
- Cosy beamed dining room which is a welcoming place to chat about the days adventures over supper with table/chairs, Bluetooth speaker and a log burner.
- Fully equipped galley style kitchen which perfectly blends modern facilities such as plenty of storage cupboards, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, ceramic electric hob/oven and microwave; with traditional character including beams on the ceiling.
- King-size bedroom with cabinets beside the bed, dressing table and wardrobe providing plenty of clothes storage.
- Additional king-size bedroom with cabinets beside the bed, drawers and hanging space for clothes - both rooms have a mirror.
- Twin bedroom which also has hanging space, drawers, a cabinet between the single beds and a mirror.
- Family bathroom with bath, walk-in shower cubicle, WC and hand basin decorated in neutral white's which compliment the beamed ceiling.
Outside: At the back of the cottage is an enclosed private garden with small paved area and lawn area with picnic table where you can sit and soak up the beautiful countryside views. There is also a small walled garden with a seat the front of the cottage.
Additional information: Children welcome (please note that there is not a stair gate so the property may not be suitable for children under five years of age). Unfortunately no pets. No smoking inside the property. Friday to Friday changeover - short breaks are available at short notice and outside of peak months - please enquire with the owner. Broadband internet access available.
Low Season from £360
Mid Season from £500
High Season from £580
Peak Season £685
Changeover Day: Friday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (2 Kings & 1 Twin)
Owner: Heather & Philip Grover, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Orphan Crag Cottage joined Independent Cottages in May 2015
Please email us for last minute special offers and short break prices.
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 14th August 2017
Approximate Location of Orphan Crag Cottage
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book