Hinderwell Escape - Hinderwell, Nr Staithes, Yorkshire, The North York Moors, England - Sleeps 7
Hinderwell Escape is a vintage gem in a quiet road close to the centre of Hinderwell village, around eight miles north of Whitby. There is ample room for up to seven guests in three bedrooms, and the thick walls, cottage garden and versatile layout make it feel cosy enough for couples as well as large enough for groups of family or friends. Two great pubs, The Badger Hounds and The Brown Cow, and a good fish and chip shop are just a few minutes walk from the cottage, as is a butchers and a village shop. You can look over the sea at Port Mulgrave or enjoy a coastal walk to Runswick Bay which takes approximately forty five minutes along the cliff with beautiful views en-route (there is also a regular bus service). Staithes is just slightly further and only five minutes in the car.
The North York Moors National Park has a fantastic coastline and Hinderwell Escape is in the ideal location to make the most of it without being tied to any one beach. Port Mulgrave, for example, is a favourite spot for fossil hunters who don’t mind the trek down the (very) steep steps to find treasures. Runswick Bay is a pretty village with a long stretch of golden sandy beach that is perfect for building sandcastles, swimming and, at low tide when the rocks are exposed, fossil hunting. The village is pedestrianised, and there is a pay-and-display car park near the beach.
Whitby has been a popular seaside resort since Victorian times and is only eight miles from Hinderwell. Here you will find a variety of shops, seaside amusements and arcades, a good museum and the romantic Gothic ruins of Whitby Abbey which inspired Bram Stoker to write “Dracula”. Captain Cook, the British explorer and Royal Navy officer, was born and lived in Whitby and there are references to him around the town.
If you plan in advance, you can rent one of the colourful beach huts on Whitby’s West Beach either through the council or private owners, and there are deckchairs and windbreaks for hire in the summer months. Opposite West Beach is West Cliff Beach. Smaller than West Beach and with a children’s paddling pool, it is particularly popular with young families.
Sandsend beach is around a fifteen minute drive from Hinderwell, or you can take advantage of the regular bus service that runs through the village.
Many guests choose to stay at Hinderwell Escape for its proximity to excellent walking trails. The Cleveland Way covers one hundred and nine miles across the countryside, moor and coast between Helmsley and Filey Brigg, and you can walk along the coastal section to Staithes and Whitby, spotting dozens of bird species along the way. Further inland, you can stretch your legs along the route through Levisham Moor and the Hole of Horcum, enjoy the view from the summit of Roseberry Topping, or take a colourful springtime stroll through Ferndale’s “Daffodil Dale”.
Whether this is your first time to the North York Moors National Park or a return visitor, you will love how Hinderwell Escape allows you to enjoy it all in traditional comfort.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Golf Nearby
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
Hinderwell Escape Continued
Hinderwell Escape is an old property with a slightly quirky layout. The owners have taken great care to create a welcoming appeal by choosing vintage furniture which is not only comfortable and practical for guests, but which suits the age of the property.
- Family living/dining room with fireplace and wood burning stove. There is plenty of comfortable seating, a television with DVD player, iPod speakers, and a selection of books and games. There is also a dining table and chairs.
- Kitchen which features an old range (not working) as well as a modern electric oven and gas hob, fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster, and a good array of cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery. The kitchen also has a dining table and chairs.
- Utility area containing a washing machine, clothes airer, iron and ironing board.
- Modern shower room with powerful shower, hand basin, radiator and WC.
- The Master Bedroom has a spacious double bed, an additional single bed and lots of storage, bedside tables and reading lamps. The view from the original Georgian sash window overlooks the pretty garden.
- The second bedroom has two full-sized single beds which can be put together to make a super king-size bed. It is also well furnished with lots of drawers for storage and has lovely views over fields towards the moors.
- A cloakroom contains a WC with handbasin.
- The third bedroom is under the eaves and also has fantastic views over the fields toward the moors. Furnished with twin beds, it is a favourite with children while the light makes it ideal for reading and painting.
- There is a small reading nook tucked away under a skylight which is perfect when you want some peace. The owners have thoughtfully provided a bookcase with a wide selection of books and local information, as well as a shelf above the washing machine for walking boots.
Outside: There are gardens at the front and rear of the property. The front garden has a sheltered patio area with benches and other garden chairs.
Additional Information: WiFi is available. All linen and utilities are included. There is an extra charge for towels. Some fuel is provided for the wood burner, with more available from a shop in the village. The property has gas central heating throughout. A highchair, cot and baby bath are all available. Short breaks are available out of season depending on availability. No smoking. A small well behaved dog or assistance dog is allowed by prior arrangement.
Low Season from £350
Mid Season from £500
High Season from £550
Peak Season £600
Pets: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Friday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 7 people in 3 bedrooms (1 Double, 1 Twin, 1 Triple)
Owner: Catherine Boothman, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Hinderwell Escape joined Independent Cottages in May 2017
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 14th July 2017