Rock Cottage - Helford River, Lizard Peninsula, South Cornwall, England - Sleeps 4+2
Rock Cottage dates back to the 16th Century and has been run as a holiday property by the present owners for over 50 years. They have sympathetically restored original features like the cob walls, while adding mod cons such as central heating and WiFi to create an extremely comfortable and welcoming holiday property that suits families of all ages.
The cottage sits in an incredible location above Mawgan Creek on the Helford River. It is completely detached with no neighbours in sight, yet is only a short walk to the village where you will find fantastic local produce and all the essentials at Mawgan Stores, and delicious meals and a warm welcome at the family-run Ship Inn pub. The owners thoughtfully provide a rowing dinghy so you can explore the creek and try catching your dinner that you can cook on a barbeque in the garden.
Lizard Peninsula beaches are world class and, as the weather is better here than virtually anywhere else in the UK, you can make the most of them at any time of year. A few to whet your appetite include Kynance Cove, and our closest beach Gunwalloe Church Cove; Kennack Sands Beach, which has rock pools, a cafe and amenities and is popular with families; Loe Bar Beach, where sand dunes divide the freshwater Loe lake from the sea; and Polurrian Cove near Mullion, which is sheltered by the surrounding cliffs and suitable for swimming.
A holiday in this part of Cornwall is all about being outside and building up an appetite for the incredible local food whether you’re walking, surfing or cycling. There is a strong artistic community in the area, and a browse through local galleries and workshops will turn up some beautiful and unique souvenirs to remind you of your holiday.
The Eden Project is one of Cornwall’s most popular attractions and is less than an hour’s drive from Rock Cottage. Other places to see include Heligan Gardens, Glendurgan Garden, and Trengwainton Garden. If you are more active, you may want to go horse riding or canoeing or get your thrills on one of the rides at Flambards Theme Park in Helston. Cornwall’s tin mining history is protected as a World Heritage Site, with places like Godolphin House and Tregonning Hill being only half an hour's drive from Rock Cottage.
- Internet Access
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Waterside Location
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Tennis Onsite
- Fishing Onsite
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
Rock Cottage Continued
The spacious and flexible accommodation consists of three bedrooms - one king, one twin, and one that is set up as a twin but can (by arrangement) be made up as a double.
- Enter through an oak front door into a hall off which leads the kitchen and bathroom.
- The kitchen/diner is flooded with light and decorated in a contemporary country style. A beech dining table and chairs are in front of the large window that frames an ever-changing view of the creek and countryside. The full fitted kitchen features a ceramic halogen hob, electric oven, dishwasher, microwave, fridge/freezer, and combined washing machine and tumble dryer. There is also a pantry stocked with basic non-perishable convenience items and cleaning products.
- Sitting room which features original cob walls, plump couches, deep window seats and an inglenook fireplace with a decorative electric wood burning effect stove. The room also includes a flat screen television with DVD player, games and puzzles, books, and local information and maps. The decor is simple and stylish, allowing the cottage’s original features and views to stand out.
- The family bathroom is well equipped with an electric shower over a bath, hand basin, WC, shaving point, heated towel rail, and magnifying mirror. Luxury toiletries are also supplied.
Two of the three bedrooms are upstairs. Both have polished wooden floors covered with soft rugs, and are furnished with everything you could need.
- The elegantly decorated master bedroom has a king sized bed and triple aspect windows, making it a wonderful place to wake up.
- A twin bedroom, decorated in a fun nautical style to appeal to children, is next door. As with the master bedroom, the twin room has breathtaking river views.
- The third bedroom is provided in the Garden Room, a separate building just feet from the main front door. With beautiful views and the ability to have either a twin or double bed, it is ideal for teenagers or grandparents. It also includes a television with DVD and radio. Please note that this room will be made up as a twin unless specified prior to arrival.
- “Peggy” is the owner’s dinghy made available for use by guests between Easter and October. Life jackets are included.
- Private parking for three cars.
- An acre of riverside woodland and terraced gardens with garden furniture and a barbeque.
Additional information: All electricity, towels and bed linen are included in the cost. There is oil fired central heating with radiators in all rooms. A travel cot, baby bath, high chair and changing mat can also be supplied (though please bring cot bedding and towels for your baby). No smoking. Up to two small, well behaved dogs are welcome with prior agreement, at no extra charge. Short breaks may be possible depending on availability.
Low Season from £680
Mid Season from £895
High Season from £1325
Peak Season £1700
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Saturday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4+2 people in 3 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Twin & 1 Twin/Super-King)
Owner: Linda Dandy, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Rock Cottage joined Independent Cottages in April 2017
Last Minute Special Deal: 5 nights from Monday 5th June fully inclusive rate £550. Short Break possible, 3 nights minimum at £125 per night. Boat included to explore the beautiful Helford River.
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 20th June 2017
Approximate Location of Rock Cottage
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book