Maxwelton - Porlock, Somerset, Exmoor, England - Sleeps 6Group bookings available: This property is one of 2 properties which, when rented together, can accommodate up to 8 guests
Maxwelton is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing holiday and offers a high standard of accommodation enhanced by breathtaking sea views. It can accommodate parties of up to six guests or larger groups of seven to eight if Bracken (one bed apartment) on the ground floor is also rented at the same time.
Located in the traditional Exmoor village of Porlock, in West Somerset, this stunningly unspoilt part of England has much to offer in terms of wildlife, history, outstandingly beautiful and diverse landscapes.
Porlock and Porlock Weir offer a great selection of fine restaurants, country pubs and cafes for a meal out or tasty cream tea. Porlock has a good range of interesting shops, church, museums and a tourist information centre where you can find all the information you need to help you plan your holiday.
Exmoor's stunning national park has immense appeal and is a great location for anyone who enjoys outdoor activities or wildlife, with Exmoor being home to not only the famous Exmoor ponies but also Red Deer. Porlock has a landscape that is diverse with heather covered moors, pretty historic villages, rivers and sparkling streams, ancient woodlands, beaches, archaeological sites and a stunning coastline that is as picturesque as it is dramatic.
There are plenty of footpaths, cycling routes and bridleways throughout the national park providing an ideal location for enjoying a host of activities including bird and wildlife watching, mountain biking, cycling, hiking and more gentle walking, horse riding, sailing and fishing.
Porlock Weir is just two miles from Porlock village and is a charming unspoilt harbour with a few small shops, Aquarium and The Boat Shed Museum - a lovely place to spend the evening at the pub or restaurant.
Steeped in history, the picturesque village of Dunster is only eight miles away. Its castle dates back to Norman times and today it hosts many events throughout the year. Another National Trust property within the village is an 18th century restored watermill and there are at least two hundred listed buildings which all add to its charm.
A scenic car ride from Porlock takes you a little further afield to Lynmouth (ten miles) and Lynton (twelve miles) which are linked by the cliff railway. Here you will find plenty of places to eat, and Lymouth has a putting green, tennis court and quaint fisherman's cottages.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Accessible via Public Transport
Maxwelton offers first floor holiday accommodation for up to six guests (plus baby in travel cot). As mentioned above, Bracken can also be rented (located in the ground floor of the property) sleeping two additional guests (see owners website for full details on Bracken).
Accommodation within Maxwelton comprises:-
- Bedroom one with a double four poster bed, drawers beside the bed, dressing table, wardrobe, en-suite with WC, hand basin and lovely views out over the sea.
- Bedroom two with super-king size bed, wardrobe, drawers beside the bed, dressing table and pleasant view over the garden.
- Bedroom three providing flexible sleeping with two single beds that can be joined together to provide a super-king (by prior arrangement). Drawers under the bed, wardrobe and bedside drawers provide plenty of storage space.
- Spacious sitting/dining room with log burner, piano, Freeview television/DVD player, comfy leather seating and dining table with leather chairs seating six. This room affords glorious views over the garden and sea, and there are patio doors leading out to the terrace, barbecue area and garden.
- Well equipped kitchen fitted with cooker (electric), breakfast bar with two stools, microwave and plenty of worktop space, along with more of those lovely views over the garden and sea!
- Lobby (directly off kitchen) containing the dishwasher, large fridge/freezer and washing machine. You can also access the patio and garden from here.
- Bathroom with shower, WC, bath and hand basin.
- Additional cloakroom with hand basin and WC at the bottom of the stairs.
- Free Wi-Fi.
Outside: The garden is large, enclosed and offers privacy with a secluded sunny terrace with outdoor seating and barbecue. There is also another small patio area where you can enjoy fabulous views over Porlock Bay. Free off road car parking.
Additional information: Access to Maxwelton is via the front door adjacent to the car parking space in front of the house. There is a cloakroom downstairs with WC, but the living area is upstairs which is also where you access the garden and patio. A welcome pack is provided upon arrival and included in the price along with bed linen and towels. Oil fired central heating and electricity are also included in the rental cost. A travel cot, highchair and stair gate can be provided by arrangement (please notify the owner at the point of booking and please note that cot bedding is not provided so please bring your own). Maxwelton and Bracken Annexe operate a "No Smoking" Policy. Two dogs by prior agreement.
Low Season from £349
Peak Season £875
Star Rating: 4 Star
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Flexible
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (4 Poster Double, Super King + Twin that can be made up as super king)
Group booking details:
Please note: Maxwelton sleeps 6 people. The owner has 2 properties which, when booked together, can accommodate up to 8 guests. Dining capacity: 8 (Guests can be seated together for meals).
Prices from: £650 to £1200
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Jacquie Haylett, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Maxwelton joined Independent Cottages in Aug 2010
Owner's Other Properties
Discounted rates for up to 8 guests + travel cot when Maxwelton & Bracken are rented together. Reduced occupancy discount offered to 2 guests sleeping in super-king bedroom with garden views.
Last Minute / Late Availability Offers
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 21st June 2017