St Curig's Church - Capel Curig, Betws-y-Coed, Conwy, Snowdonia, Wales - Sleeps 16
St Curig’s Church is a fantastic self-catering property in Capel Curig in the north of Snowdonia National Park. Why stay in a cottage when you can experience the delights of this excellent conversion which provides ample space for up to 16 guests? Gather your family and friends to celebrate a special occasion or simply to enjoy a fun-filled time in beautiful surroundings, St Curig’s Church is certainly the backdrop to a memorable holiday.
St Curig’s is across the road from the village shop and off-licence where you can stock up on basic provisions and buy fresh sandwiches to take away if you don’t feel like catering for a picnic. The Bryn Tyrch Inn is a five minute walk from the church and serves local beers and good food (including takeaway), or you could walk a little further to the Tyn-y-Coed which also serves great food and has a real fire.
Nearby, you can fly fish on the River Llugwy or go horse riding. Capel Curig has some excellent walks leading from it, including several routes to the top of the 872 metre high Moel Siabod. Plas y Brenin, the renowned outdoor training centre, sits at the foot of the mountain and provides courses on mountain biking, climbing and kayaking.
Betws-y-Coed is a ten-minute drive from Capel Curig. This is the largest village in the area where you will find a wider choice of shops, as well as several pubs, cafes, and a Tourist Information Centre to help you plan your holiday. It is a lovely village with a pretty village green. As with Capel Curig, there are world-class walks leading from the village, including to Swallow Falls (Rhaeadr Ewynnol) which are best seen after heavy rainfall. Go Below is nearby and offers an action packed caving day out. The fastest zip wire in the world Velocity is eight miles away and can be booked through Zip World (make sure you book the one nearest to St Curig's). Another great new attraction is Surf Snowdonia which is a surf lagoon and also has a crash and splash lagoon for younger children.
Being in the north of the national park puts you close not only to Mount Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales, but also to breathtaking coastline and beaches, Conwy with its majestic castle and ancient walled town, and peaceful lakes and forests. Mountain bikers love the area for experiences like the Marin Trail and Penmachno Mountain Bike Trails. There is an uplift centre in Blaenau Ffestiniog, while Coed y Brenin mountain bike centre is less than an hour’s drive south of Capel Curig.
The choice is yours whether you want to pit your skills against the environment or simply sit and admire it. Either way, you will never forget your time spent at St Curig’s.
- Internet Access
- Hot Tub
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Games Room
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Stables/Livery Onsite
- Accessible via Public Transport
St Curig's Church Continued
St Curig's Church is a unique self-catering property that has been skilfully converted to provide superb accommodation for up to 16 guests while retaining many original features like vaulted ceilings, stained glass windows, and a magnificent 19th Century mosaic ceiling. The views on the outside are as beautiful as the decor within, giving you a luxuriously comfortable place to stay while exploring the many delights of the Snowdonia National Park.
There are four ensuite bedrooms, two doubles and two twins, two further twin rooms, and a bunk room with four beds.
- The Pulpit Room features the original stone pulpit. It is furnished with a large, hand-carved oak four-poster bed, bedside tables with reading lights, and a chest of drawers for storage. The ensuite bathroom has a shower over the bath, hand basin and WC.
- The twin rooms are very comfortably furnished with full sized single beds, bedside tables, reading lights and storage. The modern ensuite bathroom has a shower over the bath, hand basin and WC.
- The bunk room is simply furnished to make the most of the amazing views through the rounded windows towards the Carneddau Mountains. Four bunk beds make it popular with children and teenagers.
- In addition to the four ensuite bathrooms, there is a separate family bathroom with shower over the bath, handbasin and WC.
- The large open plan kitchen/dining room is on the mezzanine level and overlooks the living room and games area. It features original stained glass windows and is well equipped with everything you need to make self-catering for large groups a pleasure, including a dishwasher, large fridge and even a bread maker!
- The dining area has several scrubbed pine tables that can be configured to suit your needs. There is plenty of crockery and cutlery for all guests. A small sitting area features a comfortable couch and a good selection of books.
- The main living area is on the ground floor. It makes the most of the original stonework and vaulted ceiling, feeling spacious without being cavernous or overwhelming. A large sofa is positioned in front of the wood burning stove, while the piano sits under the mosaic dome next to the pool table. The owner has thoughtfully provided a good choice of games and activities that are fun for all ages.
- The utility room has a washing machine and space for drying wet jackets and muddy boots.
Outside: A large hot tub overlooking Snowdon's Horseshoe is a welcome sight after an active day walking, cycling or horse riding. The garden includes a zip wire and lots of space to play. A stable allows you to keep your horse close by, and can also be used to store bikes and kayaks. Off-street parking for up to eight cars.
Additional Information: The church is divided into two properties with the owners living next door. All linen, towels and utilities are included in the price. Some fuel is provided for the wood burner with more being available to buy in the village. There is WiFi throughout the property and a good mobile phone signal (except for Vodafone). Well behaved dogs are welcome by prior arrangement. No smoking. Short breaks are possible depending on availability.
High Season from £3990
Pets: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Flexible
Paypal, Cheque, Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 16 people in 6 bedrooms (4 Double, 1 Quadruple, 1 Sofa Bed, 2 Trundle Beds)
Group booking details:
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Alice Douglas, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
St Curig's Church joined Independent Cottages in May 2017
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 8th June 2017