Tweedle Dee Cottage - Youlgreave, Nr Bakewell, Derbyshire, The Peak District, England - Sleeps 2
Tweedle Dee Cottage is one of four superb properties that make up Thimble Cottages in the glorious Peak District National Park. The traditional stone cottage sits on a quiet street in the pretty village of Youlgreave and is furnished with everything a couple could dream of for a romantic holiday at any time of the year including a four poster bed, wood burner, free WiFi and an enclosed rear garden for when the sun shines. There are three good pubs and three village shops within walking distance, with further shops, cafes and restaurants a ten-minute drive away in Bakewell.
Youlgreave is one of several Peak District villages that takes part in Well Dressing, a tradition unique to this part of Britain. Towards the end of June, the villages wells are adorned with boards that have been carefully decorated with intricate pictures created from individual flower petals. The village is small but has a thriving community. The streets are lined with lovely buildings which hark back to a time when Youlgreave was an important lead mining centre, and offer photo opportunities virtually everywhere you look. Don’t miss a visit inside All Saints Church. Dating back 800 years, it is one of the largest medieval churches in Derbyshire and has some lovely stained glass windows and interesting carvings.
The stunning landscape is one of the main reasons people visit the Peak District National Park and Youlgreave’s location makes it an ideal base to explore it from. The River Bradford runs along the bottom of the village, which is close to Matlock, Bakewell and Alport. If you wander down any of the lanes leading from the High Street, it won’t be long until you find yourself in open countryside, or walk along the Limestone Way, which runs through the village.
Whether your idea of a “walk” constitutes an arduous eight-hour hike or a 90-minute meander, you won’t be disappointed. There are several paths which lead from Youlgreave and Bakewell or pick up a map of the Monsal Trail or White Trail and choose a starting point. Ashford-in-the-Water is another nice village with walks going through it, or park the car at Froggatt and explore on foot. Mountain bikers will find good trails around Eyam and Bakewell. Just call into the Visitor Information Centre in Bakewell or ask at any local bike shop for advice.
Bakewell is the largest town near Youlgreave. You will certainly want to stop by one of the bakeries to try the local delicacy, Bakewell pudding. Bakewell is a very attractive town with lots of independent boutiques, antique shops, cafes and restaurants.
If you enjoy nothing more than wandering around a stately home pretending that you’re Lord or Lady of the manor, put aside a day or two to see Chatsworth House and grounds, which are utterly stunning whichever way you look at them. Haddon Hall and Eyam are also close, the latter being a plague village with an excellent museum. Other places for a day out near Youlgreave include Buxton, Ashbourne, Derby, and Chesterfield.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Accessible via Public Transport
Tweedle Dee Cottage Continued
This pretty stone cottage is set over two levels and nicely decorated throughout.
- A cosy living room with exposed beams and thick walls is made even more welcoming with the addition of a large leather corner sofa that faces the fireplace with wood burning stove. The natural stone floor is pet-friendly and has underfloor heating to keep the room at a comfortable temperature all year round. A flat screen television with DVD player provide entertainment.
- The combined kitchen/dining room includes a granite topped table with leather chairs.
- The kitchen features an original stone sink and is equipped with a gas oven and stove, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, cooking utensils, and all Denby crockery and quality cutlery necessary for four people. A door leads from the kitchen to the private back garden.
- There is a washing machine tucked neatly under the stairs.
- Original stone stairs lead from the living room to the large bedroom and spacious bathroom.
- Bedroom with hand-carved king-sized four poster bed with memory foam mattress and plush mattress topper.
- The sheets are high thread count Egyptian cotton. Guests have a choice of two weights of feather duvets, and the bed has feather pillows. Synthetic duvets and pillows are available on request.
- A Persian rug and leather sofa give the room the atmosphere of a country house hotel only with more space and privacy, while touch lamps beside the bed and an iPod docking station add further to guest comfort.
- The bathroom features a full sized bath with shower above it, hand basin and WC. Guests are provided with Ralph Lauren towels and monogrammed bathrobes to use. The owners also supply complimentary toiletries.
Outside: There is a private sunny walled garden which is accessible from the kitchen, with table and chairs for breakfast in the sunshine. Off-road parking for one car opposite the cottage.
Additional Information: The cottage has under-floor heating and is centrally heating with an adjustable thermostat so you can keep it at a temperature comfortable for you. Complimentary WiFi is available throughout the property. All linen, towels, utilities and cleaning are included in the price. Well behaved pets are welcome by prior arrangement. Tweedle Dee is adjacent to Tweedle Dum and opposite Dawson’s Cottage for larger group bookings. No smoking. The cottage is not suitable for children. Short breaks are available depending on availability.
Low Season from £450
Peak Season £575
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Flexible
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 2 people in 1 bedroom (1 King)
Owner: Rachel Halley, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Tweedle Dee Cottage joined Independent Cottages in April 2017
We have 3 other neighbouring and similar one bedroom cottages so if this one is showing as booked do still contact us.
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 26th June 2017