Laggan - Ardnish Peninsular, Highland, Scotland - Sleeps 5
Laggan sleeps up to five guests in two (and a half!) bedrooms and offers a rare opportunity to get back to basics and experience a true Scottish wilderness where you will be in pure isolation. Whilst it is technically on the mainland, it is only readily accessible by boat and is the only holiday cottage to be found on the Ardnish Peninsular. No neighbours, total privacy, bucket loads of peace and tranquillity and the chance to escape the pressures of modern day living. Think no mobile phone signal (well maybe just a little) and no electricity (that means no television!) and ask yourself if you would like to spend some quality time enjoying the simper things in life like gathering driftwood to build the fire, cooking hand-picked mussels on the beach and sitting down with friends and family around the fire to play traditional board games under the glow of paraffin lamps.
Laggan offers a truly unique holiday experience that may not be for everyone. It's a holiday that allows you to not only cater for yourself, but fend for yourself in a stunning peaceful setting that will reward you with lashings of pure beauty and a sense of being at one with nature and yourself.
But is it for you? The owners are keen to ensure that guests fully appreciate the type of holiday experience that is ahead and have outlined some basic criteria that should help you decide if Laggan is for you:
- Laggan is reached by a private boat and guests have the sole use of the boat (with engine) for the duration of their stay so it is important that there is one 'skipper' in the party with boat handling experience. The boat can be used to explore the surrounding waters and come and go from the cottage during your stay. Please bear in mind that you will need to work with the tides (tide timetable provided).
- Changeover day is Saturday with arrival around 16:00 (depending on the tides). You are able to park your car alongside the road where the caretaker will meet you, help you load the boat (with luggage, groceries, dogs etc) and take you across to the other side (sometimes two trips are required!) where a quad bike with trailer will transfer your luggage and provisions to the house. The caretaker will show you the 'ropes' both in terms of the boat and the house, along with providing a safety briefing before leaving you to enjoy your holiday. Please note the quad bike is not available for guest use once you are dropped off at the house but a wheelbarrow is for those who need to stock up during their stay (it is advisable to pre-plan your meals and bring everything you need as you can end up spending half a day getting to the shop).
- If you have children who are addicts to social media, think long and hard as they are likely to find the limited mobile signal frustrating.
- There is no electricity in the house. Heating and hot water are provided by the wood burner and there is a Calor gas fridge and cooker, along with paraffin lights.
- The wood burning stove provides the house with hot water so someone will need to take on the duty of keeping it ash free and stoked up.
- Sunshine is not guaranteed and can be changeable so if you are a sun worshiper, this holiday is not for you (also be prepared to be bitten by midges during the summer months and bring repellent!).
- Laggan is unsuitable for children under five and those with limited mobility (the walk from the mooring to the house is a few hundred yards).
If we haven't lost you at this point then it sounds like Laggan may well be for you, just as it is for many others who appreciate its romantic charm. It offers a unique holiday experience like no other and is ideal for those that enjoy being outdoors, who love wildlife (with seals, red deer, shags and even sea eagles to spot) and who enjoy being by the sea combing and pottering on the beach from dawn to dusk (and later by the glow of a beach fire).
Laggan may not have electricity but it has all the facilities needed to keep you warm and cosy, well fed and even ice for your G&T! Sitting on a peninsular, you can enjoy pure isolation with no neighbours, roads or cars - just the sound of the sea a stone's throw from the house and spectacular views to the Scottish Islands of Muck and Eigg on a fine day. Laggan promises a truly unforgettable unique holiday experience.
- Log Burner
- Waterside Location
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Fishing Onsite
- Kingsize Bed
- Porch which is also used for storing wood, boots, coats etc.
- Sitting room furnished in a traditional fashion with antique pieces of furniture and seating for seven guests. Plenty of games can be found in the cupboard providing the opportunity of enjoying traditional entertainment.
- Refurbished dining room with table and six chairs.
- Recently refurbished modern bathroom with WC, wash basin and bath (please note that there is no shower but the wood burner keeps the water nice and hot for the bath).
- Kitchen which has also recently been modernised, equipped with everything needed to self-cater (apart from any electrical appliances!).
- Spacious king-size bedroom with tables beside the bed, chest of drawers and wardrobe providing plenty of clothes storage. There is also a chair for those who want to escape for a quiet moment and marvel at the sea views.
- Twin bedroom with two single beds, bedside tables, two big chest of drawers and a chair.
- Snug Cabin which makes an ideal children's bedroom or cosy little 'pod' for adults who like confined spaces (not a good idea if you are claustrophobic!) with just enough space for a full size single mattress. A draw under the bed provides a little storage but the twin room has plenty enough to share.
Additional information: For those who can tear themselves away from this tranquil setting, the journey across the water is only five minutes but you will not be able to leave an hour or so each side of low tide. The cost of the boat is included in the rental and life jackets are provided. The house is well equipped with all non-electrical goods so plenty of pots, pans etc for cooking and dining. Logs are provided for the two stoves (along with one bag of coal per week) and you can always collect drift wood from the beach for the burner or a beach fire. Please bring your own bed linen and towels. Up to two dogs welcome but no cats.
Low Season from £850
Mid Season from £850
High Season from £850
Peak Season £850
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Children: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Saturday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 5 people in 3 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Twin & Small Snug)
Owner: Peter Stewart-Sandeman, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Laggan joined Independent Cottages in Dec 2015
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 19th August 2017