Lower House Barn - Staunton on Wye, Nr Hay on Wye, Herefordshire, England - Sleeps 6
Lower House Barn sleeps up to six guests in three en-suite bedrooms and provides accessible self-catering of an exceptionally high Four Star Gold standard. Nestling amongst the beauty of the Wye Valley, the barn sits amidst tranquil Herefordshire countryside in Staunton on Wye, and is a perfect base for exploring not only the Wye Valley but also the Black Mountains, Golden Valley, Brecon Beacons National Park and Offa's Dyke long distance path.
After running a successful bed and breakfast for over twenty years, the owners have now converted one of their barns into a stylish luxury holiday retreat which is perfect for families and friends including those with limited mobility, and dog owners (two dogs welcome).
Beautifully restored, Lower House Barn has been lovingly and cleverly designed to make the most out of the generous space available. Character features, including high vaulted ceilings and beams, have been perfectly blended with stylish yet traditional modern conveniences. A fabulous kitchen with granite topped painted units and centre island are at the very heart of the house, with a welcoming sitting room including large dining table seating eight providing the perfect place to relax at the end of the day. There is also a private patio accessible from the kitchen and living area which is perfect for alfresco dining, along with an outdoor tennis court and table tennis within the grounds which guests are welcome to use.
The surrounding area offers an abundance of outdoor activities and attractions. Visit the City of Hereford with its beautiful cathedral dating as far back as 1017, housing the famous Mappa Mundi. Another of the areas claims to fame is the Book Town of Hay-on-Wye with its Literary Festival in May, weekly Thursday morning market, and quaint cobbled streets lined with second hand and antique book shops (both Hay and Hereford are just ten miles from the barn).
For those who enjoy walking, the countryside surrounding Lower House Barn offers plenty of footpaths to explore, as well as the Offa's Dyke long distance path and the Wye Valley path which can both be picked up in Hay. A little more of a challenge but certainly worth the climb is Hay Bluff which will reward with some of the finest panoramic views over the Brecon Beacons and Herefordshire countryside. The Black Mountains also offer a host of adventures including white water rafting, rock climbing, gorge walking and mountain biking to name just a few; as does the Wye Valley with excellent opportunities for canoeing, cycling and walking.
Herefordshire is famed for its pretty Black and White villages, and Pembridge, Weobley and Eardisley are fine examples within easy driving distance of the barn. There is also a designated forty mile route that makes a pleasurable drive taking you through stunning scenery dotted with picturesque Black and White villages along the way. Other attractions include Brobury House Gardens, Hampton Court Castle and Gardens, Chase Distillery and Westons Cider both offering tours.
- Internet Access
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- Kingsize Bed
- Accessible via Public Transport
Lower House Barn Continued
- The living area has been cleverly designed to provide distinct areas for cooking, dining and relaxing, whilst enjoying a relaxed sense of space that is created by open-plan living.
- Well-equipped and beautifully presented, the kitchen is fitted with painted units topped in granite, and has a centre island with sink and stools so guests can sit and keep the cook company whilst preparing supper. Everything is provided for self-catering including a dishwasher, washing machine, fridge / freezer, double oven and induction hob with extractor over. A staircase takes you up to the first floor and an open doorway leads through into...
- Sitting room with three comfy sofas set around a wall mounted flat screen Freeview television with integrated DVD player. There is also a large dining table with seating for eight guests, and floor to ceiling patio doors and windows along one side letting the outside flood in. WiFi internet access and a wireless outdoor speaker system are provided for guests entertainment.
- Bullpen bedroom with lovely wooden super-king bed, vaulted ceiling providing a nice sense of space and en-suite bathroom with a wheelchair accessible level entry shower, bath, WC and wash basin. This room has a large wardrobe and level entry access from outside making it suitable for those with limited mobility and wheelchair users.
- Stable bedroom with a double bed, large wardrobe, dressing table and en-suite shower room with WC and wash basin.
- Twin bedroom on the first floor in restful neutral shades with two single beds, wardrobe and dressing table. Like the other rooms, this also has an en-suite with shower, WC and wash basin.
Outside: Accessed via the living area is a semi-walled private patio / garden area with outdoor furniture seating eight and BBQ - perfect for relaxing in the sunshine and enjoying an alfresco meal.
Additional information: With eco-friendly principles in mind, Lower House Barn is powered via a biomass boiler and PV Solar panels. Two dogs are most welcome - an additional charge applies (£25 per week and £15 for short breaks) and guests are asked to ensure dogs are not left alone, kept off furniture and out of bedrooms. Three night minimum short breaks available throughout the year (with the exception of the peak Christmas / New Year / Hay Festival periods). Prices include WiFi, bed linen, towels, heating, electricity and a welcome pack of local goodies upon arrival.
Accessibility: The Barn is suitable for those with limited mobility and wheelchair users. There is parking directly outside and level entry access into the property. The Bullpen bedroom has a wheelchair accessible shower including an alert alarm system (a shower chair can also be provided if required).
Low Season from £650
Mid Season from £840
High Season from £1000
Peak Season £1200
Star Rating: 4 Star Gold
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Friday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (1 Accessible Super-king, 1 Double & 1 Twin)
Owner: Diana Powell, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Lower House Barn joined Independent Cottages in March 2017
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 19th September 2017