'Off the Rails' at Plockton Station - Plockton, Highland, Scotland - Sleeps 4-6
'Off the Rails' at Pockton Station nestles above the pretty little village of Plockton with the Cuillin of Skye making a wonderful backdrop. It provides everything that the discerning holidaymaker could wish for and a truly unique holiday experience.
Plockton is still a working station (although it is unmanned) and dates back to the early 19th Century. It sits on the Inverness to Kyle line which is famed for its stunning scenery. Steam trains run through the summer and the Royal Scotsman stops regularly throughout the season, most weeks. The station building has been tastefully refurbished to preserve the wonderful Victorian features and architecture whilst combining modern technology to ensure a high level of comfort including complimentary wireless broadband, DVD players, LCD televisions and a music system with iPod docking station.
The well-equipped and stylish accommodation has been designed with comfort in mind and provides affordable luxury for holidaymakers who are seeking first-class standards. It is ideal for couples, families, friends and of course, railway enthusiasts! In the winter you can relax in the lounge, which was formerly the Station Ticket Office, in front of the lovely Victorian open hearth fire, or during the warmer summer months sit out on the platform, catch the sun and watch the trains go by. At any time of the year you will find this a delightful place to spend a holiday or relaxing break.
'Off the Rails' provides an ideal base from which to explore some of the finest scenery in Scotland, or simply relax and spend time in Plockton, known as the 'jewel of the Highlands'. The station is perfectly located for touring the local area and is just fifteen minutes from the Kyle of Lochalsh, the gateway to the magical Isle of Skye, or twenty minutes to Dornie with Eilean Donan Castle, one of Scotland's finest castles.
For those happy to travel a little further afield, visit the Iron Age brochs at Glenelg or Sandaig, the former home of the late Gavin Maxwell where you can learn about his life with his pet otters which inspired him to write 'Ring of Bright Water'.
For those feeling energetic, there are walks for all abilities, from a gentle lochside walk straight from the front door to the challenge of the Five Sisters of Kintail or majestic Cuillins.
A ten minute walk takes you to the heart of Plockton village, where there are a good selection of restaurants and hotels, many of which have won awards for excellent food and drink. The village is a haven for artists, photographers and those with a passion for crafts with gift shops to browse, along with being ideal for wildlife enthusiasts with boat trips to see the seals (or take a sea kayaking expedition to explore the waters).
With so much to enjoy on your doorstep, this is not only an ideal holiday destination for walkers or those looking for a relaxing holiday but also for anyone who wants to explore this beautiful part of Scotland.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Accessible via Public Transport
'Off the Rails' at Plockton Station Continued
The owners have paid considerable attention to detail to provide guests with everything needed for a comfortable and memorable holiday. 'Off the Rails' sleeps six to seven guests, with parking just outside the building, and only ten minutes from the centre of the village.
Accommodation and facilities comprise:
- 'The Old Ticket Office' today provides a cosy sitting room. Original features such as the wooden clad walls, lovely Victorian fire-place for a roaring fire, wooden floor/ceiling and ticket hatch have been enhanced by modern conveniences such as an LCD Freesat television, DVD player and comfy seating (including sofa bed) to ensure guests comfort.
- 'The Ladies Waiting Room' has been converted into a king-size bedroom which also has a television, DVD player and comfy chair.
- Former 'Gents Toilet' is now the large en-suite wet room with a sauna, cold drenching shower, hot shower for normal washing and underfloor heating making it warm under foot.
- 'The Ladies Toilet' today provides space for the utility room with freezer, tumble-dryer and washing machine should you need to freshen clothes, along with plenty of space for drying outdoor gear and storing bikes and equipment.
- 'The Gentlemen's Waiting Room' now forms the open-plan kitchen/dining area with original pine cladding and a lovely Victorian fireplace perfectly mixed with modern amenities including a large centre island/breakfast bar which houses the electric hob with extractor above, dishwasher, microwave, oven, fridge and dining table with chairs - a perfect place to unwind and discuss the days adventures!
- 'The Station Masters Office' now provides flexible sleeping as a bedroom that can be made up as either a king-size bed or two singles. With a Victorian fireplaces, wooden cladding and a television plus DVD player, you are sure to have a restful nights sleep and high level of comfort.
- Shower room with large walk-in shower, underfloor heating, heated towel rail, wash basin and WC.
Additional information: All linen is included and towelling robes are supplied.
'Off the Rails' at Plockton Station provides a unique holiday experience where you can take a nostalgic traip back in time and whitness the golden age of travel in one of Scotland's most beautiful villages.
Low Season from £450
Mid Season from £700
High Season from £850
Peak Season £900
Pets: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Saturday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4-6 people in 2 bedrooms (1 King, 1 King/twin rm with zip & link beds + sofa bed)
Owner: Jane & Calum Mackenzie, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
'Off the Rails' at Plockton Station joined Independent Cottages in Jan 2010
Stay in this unique listed building, lovingly restored with all modern conveniences from sauna to wifi. Short breaks available off season, see late availability offers.
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 18th July 2017
Approximate Location of 'Off the Rails' at Plockton Station
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book