Old School House - Glemsford, Nr Long Melford, Suffolk, England - Sleeps 5
The Old School House is a late-Victorian gem just outside the centre of Glemsford, providing very comfortable accommodation for families or groups of up to five guests in three bedrooms. A fish and chip shop, two convenience stores and a popular Chinese restaurant are all within walking distance, as is the village green and a children’s park.
Glemsford is a peaceful residential village surrounded by Suffolk countryside, offering a rural retreat from the daily grind. Its history stretches back over a thousand years and, while it was once as important as the nearby towns of Sudbury and Melford, it now offers a much more relaxed pace of life. There are a number of lovely walks and cycling routes which lead from the village, and the surrounding countryside is a pleasure to explore.
Three miles from Glemsford is Long Melford, one of the most important towns in the history of Suffolk’s wool industry. As well as a good choice of boutiques, antique shops, cafes, pubs and supermarkets, Long Melford has a wonderful 15th Century church. Kentwell House is an excellent example of a moated Tudor house, and there is an interesting heritage centre where you can find out more about the importance of Suffolk to medieval England’s industry.
Around a ten-minute drive from the Old School House, Lavenham is another beautiful old Suffolk town to visit. Many of its wonderful original medieval timbered buildings are still in use today, and it boasts more than 300 listed buildings. As well as its impressive historic buildings, Lavenham is known for the popular Christmas fair that is normally held over the first weekend in December and a flourishing literary festival that takes place in autumn.
While you’re out and about, you may also want to make a detour to Clare, with its thatched cottages painted in ice-cream colours, or stop by Cavendish to see why it is regularly voted as Suffolk’s Best Kept Village. Ipswich, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds are all good choices for shopping and wet weather distractions.
The Suffolk countryside is lovely but you should not overlook a day trip to its coast. Walton on the Naze is around an hour’s drive south-east of Glemsford, while Felixstowe, Aldeburgh, and the South Coast Heaths AONB are not much further.
If you want to a place to stay that is spacious, welcoming and convenient for the many Suffolk attractions, The Old School House will certainly appeal to you.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Golf Nearby
- Washing Machine
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Accessible via Public Transport
Old School House Continued
Dating from the late 1800s, The Old School House started life with a very different purpose to the role it now fulfils as an extremely comfortable holiday home in a lovely rural Suffolk village.
The rooms are spread over two floors in a traditional layout with the family bathrooms and bedroom upstairs and the kitchen and living space on the ground floor.
- Entry is through a tiled hallway with doors leading off to the sitting room, snug, and combined kitchen/diner.
- Comfortable sofas in the sitting room are positioned around the flat screen television with DVD player, and the exposed brick fireplace which now houses a log burning stove - perfect for cosy nights relaxing in front of the fire.
- Snug which is a separate sitting area decorated with adults in mind, almost as a "parents' retreat". It includes squashy sofas and a selection of books.
- Large combined kitchen/dining room with a table and chairs that can easily accommodate six people for meals.
- The kitchen is well equipped with an electric hob and oven, dishwasher, microwave, freestanding fridge-freezer and washing machine. Crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils are provided, and there is a small selection of non-perishable ingredients and cleaning equipment.
Upstairs: Three bedrooms and a modern family bathroom are upstairs.
- Master bedroom with a king sized bed, bedside tables and lamps, and storage for clothes. It is decorated in pastel shades to create a calm atmosphere.
- Second bedroom furnished with a double bed, storage for clothes, bedside tables and reading lights.
- Third bedroom decorated in white and soft green with a full-sized single bed. It also includes a bedside table and storage.
- Family bathroom which has been recently refurbished and features a bath with shower overhead, hand basin, WC and heated towel rail.
Outside: A small courtyard garden with table and chairs provides a private spot for a glass of wine or cup of tea.
Additional information: There is normally parking on the street in front of the property. All towels, linen and electricity are included in the price. A welcome basket of logs for the log burner is provided. Highchair and stair gate are available on request. The house has central heating with radiators in all rooms. No smoking. Short breaks are possible depending on availability. A 10% under occupancy discount is offered for couples. Sorry but no pets. WiFi internet access available.
Low Season from £515
Mid Season from £550
High Season from £550
Peak Season £595
Changeover Day: Saturday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 5 people in 3 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Double, 1 Single)
Owner: Wendy Bird, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Old School House joined Independent Cottages in May 2017
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 18th July 2017