Mile End Barn - Hartest, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England - Sleeps 8
Mile End Barn is a stunning conversion in a beautiful location. Available to enjoy for only a few selected school holiday weeks in the year for 6 night or longer breaks, the barn sleeps up to eight guests in four bedrooms, and is exactly the accommodation you are looking for whether you are going on holiday with the kids or your friends. The decor is stylish and comfortable, and the spacious grounds are secure and well tended. You couldn't ask for a nicer place to relax and unwind.
The property is in Hartest, arguably one of Suffolk's most desirable villages. Within a ten minute walk, you can find yourself sitting comfortably with a pint or chilled glass of wine in The Crown's sunny beer garden or walking around the pretty village green. The kitchen at Mile End Barn is perfect for cooking large family meals which should certainly be accompanied by a glass (or two) of wine from Giffords Hall Vineyard which is on the other side of the village.
Hartest is around nine miles from Bury St Edmunds, a historic market town where you will find supermarkets, banks, butchers and greengrocers. There has been a local market run here since William the Conqueror ruled the country so pay it a visit on Wednesday and Saturday and take your pick of fresh produce from around eighty local suppliers. Attractions in Bury St Edmunds include Abbey Gardens and St Edmundsbury Cathedral. Discovering the treasures at nearby Ickworth House and Gardens is a great way to spend a few hours. Gin lovers should not miss a visit to Adnams distillery and shop, while beer drinkers can book a tour of the Greene King Brewery.
Around the same distance from the barn as Bury St Edmunds, on the banks of the River Stour, Sudbury is another beautiful market town and a lovely place to while away a relaxing day. Visit Gainsborough's House or take a boat tour along the river. Mauldon's Brewery doesn't run tours but has a good shop where you can buy bottles of their regular and seasonal brews in bulk. Indulge yourself with some massage and beauty therapy at The Angel Therapy Rooms day spa, or some retail therapy in Sudbury's independent shops and boutiques.
Other gorgeous Suffolk villages to see include Cavendish, Long Melford, East Bergholt and Lavenham. There are numerous lovely walks and cycle paths around the area, and you can arrange a hack through local stables. Within an hour's drive, you can be enjoying the sights of cities like Cambridge and Ipswich, or be reclining on the sand at Felixstowe or Harwich. Whether you spend the day walking, driving, shopping, bird spotting, or lounging on a deck chair with hot fresh fish and chips, Mile End Barn makes a fantastic base to return to relish the day's delights and plan tomorrow's adventures.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Games Room
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
Mile End Barn Continued
The property has ample room for up to eight guests and is comfortably furnished to a high standard. The downstairs living area is largely open plan, providing an incredibly social space. Only available for a few select weeks in the year (during school holidays), it is advisable to book early to avoid disappointment.
- Tiled entrance hall / utility area with room for hanging coats and storing shoes, washing machine and tumble drier. Off the hall is a cloakroom with handbasin and WC.
- The enormous kitchen/breakfast room is a country dream! It features a flagstone floor and large inglenook fireplace with a four oven AGA range (switched off in warmer months), oven, hob, island workspace, handcrafted wooden cabinets, large American-style fridge/freezer with ice dispenser, dishwasher, kettle, toaster, cooking equipment and plates and cutlery for up to twelve diners.
- The breakfast room has a scrubbed pine table that is ideal for informal family dining and kitchen suppers and easily seats eight. Brick walls, pitched ceilings, and exposed beams add to the rustic appeal. French doors and a large window provide plenty of natural light, with the doors opening onto a private walled courtyard furnished with an outdoor table and chairs.
- Large comfortable family room with wood burning stove and big, comfortable sofas for lounging on with a good book or watching the 46" flat screen television with satellite channels and DVD player.
- The formal dining room has floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the courtyard and allow lots of light. It has a long wooden dining table with leather chairs for eight people.
- A formal reception room is ideal for entertaining or for parents to relax. It features an inglenook fireplace with second wood burning stove, 43" television, three sofas and a coffee table.
- The games room is dominated by a full-sized snooker table (for adult use only) with proper lighting, together with a bookcase full of a selection of games and books guests are welcome to use during their stay.
A wide galleried staircase with large window takes you to an upper landing off which are four very comfortable bedrooms and a family bathroom.
- Master bedroom with triple-aspect windows dressed with custom made blackout blinds, king sized bed and lots of storage. It has an ensuite with large shower, twin hand basins, WC, heated towel rail and underfloor heating.
- A second double bedroom is dual aspect with a king sized bed, bedside tables with reading lights, chest of drawers and hanging rail for clothing.
- Bedroom three has two single beds, built in storage and lovely views across the countryside.
- Bedroom four is flexible and can also be used as a study and has a pullout day bed.
- The large family bathroom has a roll-top bath, separate corner shower cubicle handbasin and WC.
Outside: The barn is set back from a quiet road and sits within extensive grounds. A paved courtyard area has good-quality garden furniture for outdoor dining. It overlooks a play area with trampoline and is securely gated. A flat lawn area is ideal for children with a playhouse and swing set. All gardens are securely fenced to make them safe for children and dogs. There is off-street parking for several cars and a driveway shared with the Annex next door.
Additional Information: The property is only available from the end of July to the start of September. Well behaved dogs are welcome by prior arrangement. All bedding, towels and utilities are included in the price. Minimum hire is for five nights. The property has WiFi and gas central heating throughout. The host's representative lives in the village, and you will have their mobile number in case you have any questions about the property.
High Season from £1850
Peak Season £1850
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Friday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 8 people in 4 bedrooms (2 King, 2 Twin)
Group booking details:
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Johanna Proudlove, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Mile End Barn joined Independent Cottages in May 2017
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 29th July 2017