Cressland - Kersey, Suffolk, England - Sleeps 7-8
Cressland sleeps up to eight guests and is a splendid Grade II listed timber framed Suffolk Cottage dating back to the 15th Century, in an enviable position in the very heart of the village of Kersey right next to the 'Splash’. Oozing original character and charm, Cressland has been beautifully restored and presented and offers a high standard of self-catering accommodation that has been awarded the highest Five Star Gold by VisitEngland.
With four bedrooms, a lovely sitting room with open fire, dining room with log burner, country kitchen and an attractive garden with summer house and patio, Cressland is ideal for families, friends and even couples looking for a cosy romantic retreat with some extra space. Just an hour and a half from London and under an hour from Stanstead airport, the cottage is ideal for a short break or longer holiday at any time of the year.
Cressland offers old-world charm beautifully mixed with modern conveniences to provide a great base from which to explore the many attractions that Suffolk has to offer including Constable Country and the pretty little villages and historic towns that pepper the picturesque rolling Suffolk countryside, including the Suffolk coast.
The area holds many 'claims to fame' with Lovejoy being the closest to home with a scene filmed right outside the cottage and many others in and around the area including Long Melford with its fantastic antique shops to browse! Harry Potter's Deathly Hallows also had scenes filmed in nearby Lavenham - the country's finest most famous medieval village which is a 'must' to visit. For those who can remember Witchfinder General, a film dating back to the 1960's, Kersey may seem familiar when you visit as it was featured in the opening scene. Kersey's village street (including the pub and school) were also featured in a 'Compare the Meerkat' advert.
Kersey is a picture postcard Suffolk village with lots of traditional charm and plenty of historic listed properties. A true hidden gem, the picturesque village setting attracts artists, photographers, cyclists and walkers and its 14th Century inn provides a warm welcome serving good food and local ale which you can enjoy in front of a lovely fire.
The surrounding area offers a host of attractions. If historic architecture and ancient towns are your passion, head to the market town of Hadleigh (two miles) for a great choice of interesting shops, places to eat and pretty colourful cottages. Lavenham is just eight miles away with its impressive Guildhall and of similar distance is Long Melford where you can visit Kentwell Hall and Melford Hall. The market town of Sudbury is eleven miles with its interesting shops, twice weekly markets and great choice of bars, pubs and restaurants or a little further you have old wool town of Clare, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich, each with their own unique appeal. Flatford in Dedham Vale is popular with artists who want to see the countryside that inspired John Constable. The Suffolk coast with Aldeburgh, Dunwich, Southwold and Walberswick is also within easy reach and an hour's drive as are the cities of Norwich and Cambridge.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Waterside Location
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Large welcoming living room with wonderful open fireplace, two big comfy sofas, chairs, flat screen television, DVD player and lots of character including original brick floor (with rug) and beams - all adding to the charm of this relaxing room.
- Dining room with oak table and seating for up to eight guests in comfort in front of the large inglenook which houses a log burning stove - with iPod docking and CD player this is an ideal place to enjoy supper at the end of the day.
- Under stairs cupboard housing games, stair gate etc.
- Ground floor shower room with hand basin and WC.
- Large painted country kitchen with slate floor, plenty of units, dishwasher, electric oven/hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, television and dining table for less formal meals seating eight guests - a nice place for breakfast!
- Utility area where the boiler for the central heating is stored, along with a washer/dryer, ironing board etc.
- Twin bedroom (Hallows) with two single beds, dressing table, wardrobe and tables beside the bed. This room affords lots of features including the original fireplace, oak floorboards and beams.
- King-size bedroom (Lovejoy) with dressing table, wardrobe, tables beside the bed and more of those lovely original features including another fireplace.
- Single bedroom (Meerkat) with original oak floor, beams, single bed plus additional single trundle bed underneath, along with wardrobe, dressing table/chest of drawers and table beside the bed.
- Family bathroom with hand basin, WC and shower over the bath.
- A landing leads up to the...
Second Floor (the stairs are steep so not suitable for young children or those with limited mobility)
- King-size bedroom (Witchfinder General) with original beams and oak floor, en-suite bathroom including shower, WC and hand basin, clothes hanging area, dressing table, tables beside the bed, chest of drawers and a chaise longue at the bottom of the bed for relaxing.
Outside: There is a private garden running alongside the stream with patio, garden furniture, BBQ, lawn area and summer house - the perfect place for alfresco dining during the warmer months. Parking for two cars on the drive.
Additional information: Changeovers are Monday and Friday. Cot available. A pub is just 100 yards for eating out. Welcome hamper provided. Heating, electricity, linen and towels included in the price. No smoking and unfortunately no pets. A discounted rate is offered for four guests using two bedrooms ranging from £596 in low season to £1076 in peak. Short breaks available all year round from £525 (or £394 if just four guests are renting and only using two bedrooms).
Low Season from £795
Mid Season from £955
High Season from £1260
Peak Season £1465
Star Rating: 5 Star Gold
Changeover Day: Flexible
Cheque, Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 7-8 people in 4 bedrooms (2 Kings, 1 Twin + 1 Single with additional trundle bed)
Group booking details:
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Louise Gibbons, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Cressland joined Independent Cottages in March 2015
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 12th August 2017
Approximate Location of Cressland
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book