The Granary - South Hay, Kingsley, Nr Alton, Hampshire, The South Downs, England - Sleeps 6
The Granary offers guests the chance to relax and unwind in beautiful Hampshire. With three en suite bedrooms that sleep up to six guests, it is perfect for families or groups of friends who want to wake up to views of the lush rolling countryside of the South Downs National Park. The 17th-century building is part of a working farm and has been sympathetically restored to retain many original features including the exposed oak beams. In addition to the owners, who live and work on the farm, your nearest neighbours are the hares, deer, owl and pheasants who frequent the adjacent fields.
Alton is the closest market town to The Granary, around a ten-minute drive away. The town has been a thriving settlement for more than a thousand years and was old when Jane Austen walked the same streets that you see today. The beauty of the area so inspired the beloved British writer that she wrote the final version of all her novels in a house, now the Jane Austen House Museum, in nearby Chawton. There is a busy market on Tuesday, and a wonderful array of independent shops and cafes, and several supermarkets.
The Watercress Line Steam Railway leaves from Alton train station and stops at Medstead and Four Marks, Ropley, and Alresford. All are lovely villages with beautiful countryside walks going through and around them, making the Watercress Line a fun day out. Other Hampshire attractions within an easy drive of The Granary include Beaulieu Motor Museum, Highclere Castle, RHS Wisley, Uppark and Queen Elizabeth Country Park. Winchester is certainly worth adding to your list of places to visit, as are the cathedral towns of Chichester, Salisbury and Guildford.
The best way to appreciate the beauty of the South Downs is up close. Walking in Hampshire is a real pleasure, and there is a variety of footpaths to suit all abilities. Queen Elizabeth Country Park is a top choice for a day out, with over twenty miles of paths and cycling trails traversing woodland and open countryside, as well as a fun children’s playground, cafe, and picnic and barbeque spots. Make sure you walk up Butser Hill, the highest point in the South Downs, for the fantastic views.
The South Downs Way traverses one hundred and one miles through the South Downs National Park between Winchester and Eastbourne. It’s popular with walkers and mountain bikers and is way-marked with signposts featuring a white acorn and purple and blue arrows.
Though peacefully rural, The Granary is less than an hour from LEGOLAND Windsor and the beautiful beaches of Portsmouth and Hayling Island, making it a fantastic choice for exploring Hampshire and the surrounding area.
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
The Granary Continued
The Granary has been a part of the beautiful Hampshire countryside for hundreds of years and has everything you need to feel perfectly at home.
- A spacious living room with ample seating for six adults, a decorative electric fireplace, and exposed beams. It benefits from floor to ceiling windows which allow natural light to flood in.
- The separate dining room has a pine dining table and chairs, and sideboard for storage and serving.
- A fitted country-style kitchen is well equipped with a dishwasher, cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery. It is kept cosy during winter with a large radiator, and the owners have thoughtfully provided basic cleaning equipment and some non-perishable ingredients. A freshly baked cake and tea offer a warm welcome and there is a washer/dry for those who need to wash clothes.
Three large bedrooms comfortably sleep up to six adults. All are furnished to a high standard with bedside tables, reading lights and good storage, and have far-reaching views across the surrounding countryside.
- The Master bedroom is furnished with a pretty bed in fitting with the style of the property. The original exposed beams are a lovely feature, as is the en-suite shower room complete with shower and WC.
- The second bedroom is also a double. It is decorated in soft neutral shades and also has an en-suite shower room with WC.
- The twin bedroom has two full-sized single beds and a continental style tiled wet room en-suite with shower and WC.
Outside: Guests can relax on the enclosed patio area. There is also a small unfenced garden with garden furniture and barbeque. The farm is in a quiet area with plenty of parking.
Additional Information: The property has oil-fired central heating. All utilities, linen and towels are included, as are complimentary toiletries and fresh flowers. Mid-week short breaks are available out of season depending on availability. No pets. No smoking. The changeover day is Saturday for weekly rentals.
Low Season from £635
Mid Season from £740
High Season from £875
Peak Season £1065
Star Rating: 4 Star
Changeover Day: Saturday
Cheque, Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (2 Doubles & 1 Twin)
Owner: Jean Stephens, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
The Granary joined Independent Cottages in June 2017
Owner's Other Properties
To book securely on-line click the link to Owners Website - remember to mention Independent Cottages when booking
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 13th August 2017