The Old Post Office - Puckington, Ilminster, Somerset, England - Sleeps 6
The Old Post Office sleeps up to six guests in three bedrooms and is a picture postcard thatched holiday cottage located in the pretty rural village of Puckington amongst the rolling Somerset hills. As the name suggests, this delightful Grade II listed cottage was once the village post office and today offers cosy comfy self-catering accommodation that is equally as ideal for couples looking for a romantic break as it is for friends and families looking for a holiday.
Both child and dog friendly, the cottage has great appeal and offers the chance to escape the hustle and bustle of city living to experience a taste of country village life. With a wonderful blend of original traditional features (including a fabulous open fire and lots of beams!) perfectly mixed with modern conveniences, The Old Post Office is a welcoming retreat at any time of the year.
Puckington offers a peaceful rural setting which is conveniently placed for the M5 and A303, allowing easy access to the many attractions of not only Somerset but also Dorset and Devon. With its little country lanes lined with pretty cottages, the village is a haven for wildlife and offers fantastic cycling and walking opportunities straight from the cottage front door. Walk to the nearby village of Barrington (just a mile) and enjoy a pint or meal in the dog and child friendly village pub (The Barrington Boar) or wander a little further and visit National Trust Barrington Court (featured in the BBC's Wolf hall). Horse riding and a wealth of other outdoor activities are also available in the surrounding area.
For larger towns, visit Yeovil or Taunton (both approximately ten miles away) or the market town of Ilminster which is closer to home and offers a good selection of shops and restaurants amongst its medieval streets including a fabulous butchers and delicatessen for stocking up on local produce and breakfast ingredients!
For those who are drawn by the cry of the gulls, take a day trip to the Jurassic Coast which is only forty minutes away by car and visit Lyme Regis or alternatively, head to Somerset's coast and Burnham-on-Sea for some traditional seaside fun and a ride on the donkeys. Take the children (and adults) to Cheddar Gorge to marvel at the incredible caves; visit one of the many National Trust run properties and magnificent gardens or have your fix of shopping at Clarks Village in Street. And for sports lovers, a day at Taunton races or a visit to the Somerset County Cricket Ground are sure to please.
However much or little you want to do on your holiday in Somerset, The Old Post Office offers a cosy and welcoming retreat to return home to at the end of the day.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Garden/Outside Area
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
The Old Post Office Continued
- Sitting room with plenty of character including beams on the ceiling, flagstone floor and fantastic fireplace for enjoying a roaring log fire. Three comfy sofas provide ample seating where you can relax and watch the television (with Freeview) or a DVD (Blueray) whilst enjoying a glass or two in front of the fire.
- Elegant dining room with table and chairs (high chair available) providing a lovely place to sit and chat about the days adventures over supper. Once the place where customers sending parcels would queue and natter, this lovely room has a window seat where you can sit and watch over the village and a lovely Victorian fireplace, all adding to the charm.
- Like the other rooms in the cottage, the well equipped kitchen affords lots of character with beams, pantry, lovely pine wall cabinet, plenty of cupboards for storage and an impressive range cooker (including a Gas hob), dishwasher, microwave and fridge. There is also an informal dining area at the side which is perfect for snacks and breakfast.
- House bathroom with a light and fun seaside feel having a roll-top bath for long soaks, separate shower cubicle, wash basin, heated towel rail, WC and flagstone floor.
- Characterful master bedroom with king-size cast iron bed, floor boards, wonderful beams, television with integrated DVD player and windows providing nice views over the garden and country lane.
- Double bedroom with chunky pine bed, stripped floor boards, beams, small inset fireplace, tables beside the bed, dressing table and small wardrobe with drawers.
- Light and airy twin bedroom with two single beds, wooden floors, white-washed walls, exposed beams and little windows looking out over the terrace. A chest of drawers and small wardrobe provide clothes storage.
Outside: There is a garden to both sides of the cottage, along with a courtyard terrace which is paved and ideal for a glass of wine or dining outside during the warmer months.
Additional information: Bed linen and towels included in the price along with electricity, central heating and a welcome basket of logs. Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome. Wi-Fi internet access available. High chair, cot and stair gate available. Welcome pack provided.
Low Season from £445
Mid Season from £525
High Season from £750
Peak Season £995
Pets: Yes, 2 dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Friday
Paypal, Cheque, Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Double & 1 Twin)
Owner: Amanda Tassell (Bkgs Officer), click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
The Old Post Office joined Independent Cottages in April 2015
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 19th August 2017