Autumn Cottage - Preston, Oakham, Stamford, Rutland, England - Sleeps 4
Autumn Cottage is a charming Grade II listed ironstone thatched cottage that sleeps up to four guests in two bedrooms. It is a special favourite with couples who want to escape the hustle and bustle of life and holiday tucked away in scenic peace and tranquillity. The cottage sits on a quiet road in the tiny village of Preston, home to fewer than two hundred residents and a church that dates back to 1150.
Rutland’s second town, Uppingham is only two miles from the cottage. It is a tiny, but beautiful, step- back – in-time sort of place, full of individual boutiques, galleries and antique shops and the famous Uppingham School. The weekly market every Friday is delightful. The county town of Oakham is under twenty minutes drive north of Autumn Cottage. Home to one of Britain's oldest schools, it has an impressive Norman castle, great museum, and a popular twice-weekly market (Wednesday and Saturday) where you can buy locally produced food and goods. You should also visit nearby historic Stamford. With six hundred wonderfully preserved listed buildings, it is Britain's first urban conservation area, having a good variety of shops, pubs and cafes, and a busy Friday market.
Rutland is one of England's best-kept secrets. This tiny county (only eighteen miles at its widest point) is just as lovely as the Cotswolds yet does not attract the same volume of tourists which means you can enjoy its beauty, peace and tranquillity without jostling with the crowds! The county motto ‘Multum in Parvo’, which translates as Much in Little, really does ring true.
Rutland Water is one of the largest artificial lakes in Europe, 25 miles in perimeter and a site of special scientific interest. It offers superb bird spotting and has many excellent walking and cycling paths, as well as the option of sailing, kayaking, windsurfing and canoeing.
Days out can include Barnsdale Gardens, Rutland County Museum, Lyddington Bede House, Burghley House and Belvoir Castle. Lincoln, Leicester and Cambridge are fascinating historic cities within an hour’s drive.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
Autumn Cottage Continued
Autumn Cottage has been sympathetically restored to retain attractive original features including exposed oak beams, thick walls and window sills, and a quaint thatched roof.
- The downstairs living area is open plan, with the sitting room and kitchen/dining room separated by a large chimney breast and open fireplace. French doors from the lounge provide access to the courtyard garden. There is comfortable seating, a large coffee table, television and DVD player, as well as a selection of books and games.
- A combined kitchen and dining room benefits from the open fire and is furnished with a pine table and four chairs.
- The fitted kitchen makes the most of the space and includes a full-sized oven and hob, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, toaster and kettle, utensils and crockery. There is also a washing machine and iron for guests to use.
- The delightful garden room acts as an additional sitting room and has access to the courtyard garden via French doors.
- Stairs open directly to the second bedroom which has two single beds, bedside shelf with reading lights, chest of drawers, wardrobe and an airing cupboard.
- The master bedroom is dual aspect and accessed through the twin room. It has a comfortable king-size brass bed, bedside tables with reading lights, a chest of drawers, and a built-in wardrobe.
- A family bathroom has a bath with electric shower above, hand basin and WC.
Outside: French doors open from the sitting room and garden room onto a walled courtyard with garden furniture. There is private off road parking.
Additional Information: WiFi is available throughout the property and there is central heating. Towels, linen, a starter basket of logs and utilities are included in the price. Children under ten years old are unfortunately not allowed. No smoking. No pets. Short breaks may be available out of season. Payment for bookings can be made by cheque, bank transfer, Paypal (surcharge applies) and credit card (surcharge applies).
Low Season from £520
Mid Season from £590
High Season from £620
Peak Season £770
Children: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Flexible
Paypal, Cheque, Credit Card, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4 people in 2 bedrooms (1 Double, 1 Twin)
Owner: Martin & Julia Copeman, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Autumn Cottage joined Independent Cottages in June 2017
Owner's Other Properties
* Prices based on 2 guests. Additional guests by prior arrangement are charged @ £5.00 per person/night. * Short Breaks (min 4 nights)on request. * Sister Cottages: Little Thatch & Sticky End
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 4th August 2017
Approximate Location of Autumn Cottage
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book