Lion Cottage - Birchover, Matlock, Derbyshire, The Peak District, England - Sleeps 5
Lion Cottage comfortably sleeps four guests in two bedrooms and can accommodate a fifth guest with the use of a sofa bed. With lots of character throughout, this 18th Century holiday cottage offers a cosy retreat for families, friends or couples at any time of the year. Original features include lots of beams, exposed stonework, open fireplace in the dining room and wooden floors upstairs in the bedrooms, allowing guests to enjoy all the charm of a period property with modern conveniences including a stylish bathroom, Gas central heating and Wi-Fi internet access.
Ideally placed in the Peak District National Park, the cottage sits in the Derbyshire village of Birchover, in between the county town of Matlock (formerly a spa town sitting on the River Derwent), and the popular market town of Bakewell (famous for its puddings or pies as some would say!). There are two pubs in the village, The Red Lion (producing many of the ingredients used in their cooking) and the Druid Inn, a superb country pub which also serves excellent food and cask ales. For the little ones, the village has a children's play area.
An excellent base for exploring the many attractions of the Peaks, Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall are both a short car ride away (under eight miles). Stanton Moor is another popular local attraction with its intriguing stone circles. Follow in the footsteps of the legendary outlaw and visit Robin Hood's Stride or spend your days visiting the much loved Derbyshire villages and towns of Buxton, Ashbourne, Eyam (the 'Plague' village) and Carsington with a reservoir which offers plenty of opportunities for water lovers.
A vast outdoor playground, the Peak District is the most visited national park in the UK - with superb walking, cycling and an abundance of attractions, it is hardly surprising.
- Internet Access
- Open Fire
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Accessible via Public Transport
Lion Cottage Continued
- Cosy welcoming sitting room with lots of character including beams, exposed stonework, fireplace (housing a Gas fire - a warming glow at the flick of a switch!), comfy seating, flat screen television and DVD player - the perfect place to relax at the end of the day.
- Compact but well equipped kitchen with cupboards for storage, washer/dryer, microwave, oven (electric), hob (Gas), fridge/freezer and table with chairs where you can have your morning coffee.
- Dining room with folding table, chairs and sofa bed (sleeping an additional guest). With beams on the ceiling and an open fire, this room is a lovely place for supper or enjoying a quiet moment in front of the fire with a good book (there is Wi-Fi internet access for those who need to catch up on emails).
- Twin bedroom with two single beds, dressing table, occasional chairs and built-in wardrobe. Wooden floors, a sloping ceiling and stone fireplace surround add character to this pretty room.
- Master bedroom with en-suite shower room, built-in wardrobe, double bed and lovely wooden floor boards.
- Family bathroom with shower over the bath, WC and wash basin - modern and stylish with little mosaics on the walls.
- Outside there is a stone out-house which provides lockable bike storage, also containing BBQ and folding table and chairs to use in the paved area at the front of the cottage.
Additional information: Gas central heating throughout. No Smoking inside the cottage. Well behaved dogs may be accepted by arrangement. Short breaks available outside of the peak season and charged at 75% of normal rental rate for four nights and 60% for a three night break. Bed linen, towels, electricity and heating are included in the price.
Low Season from £365
Mid Season from £385
High Season from £525
Peak Season £560
Pets: Enquire with owner
Changeover Day: Saturday
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 5 people in 2 bedrooms (1 Double, 1 Twin + Sofa Bed)
Owner: Jane Dunphy, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Lion Cottage joined Independent Cottages in Feb 2016
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 3rd September 2017