Quarme Valley Grange - Wheddon Cross, Somerset, Exmoor, England - Sleeps 7
Quarme Valley Grange is an impressive traditional Somerset Long House that comfortably accommodates up to seven guests within self-catering quarters that are accessed via a separate entrance. Sitting in a peaceful idyllic position within Exmoor's stunning National Park, the property affords extensive grounds with wooded areas, lawns and ponds that are naturally fed by a stream that is an off-shoot of the River Quarme.
Occupying a third of the property, guests can enjoy a high degree of privacy, safe in the knowledge that the owners are close by to provide as much or as little assistance as required. Once inside there is a dining room, well-equipped kitchen, separate utility room with back door leading to rear garden area and washing line, games room (off lounge that doubles up as a bedroom if required), lounge with French doors that take you out to the terrace (a perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine as the sun sets), large landing where you can sit or play games and three en-suite bedrooms (each with an en-suite that has not only a roll-top bath but also a shower cubicle).
Outside, there are plenty of places to find a quiet corner to relax and enjoy a good book in the sunshine and ample room for children to let off steam. With vast dark skies, you can enjoy star gazing in one of the country's few Dark Sky Reserves, and during the day, marvel at simply incredible views.
There are lots of great days out and attractions within easy reach. For a day by the sea, head to the seaside resort of Minehead for some traditional fun on the golden sands (just a twenty minute drive) or travel further to Croyde or Woolacombe (an hour away). Medieval Dunster with its beautiful castle is only six miles and Dunkery Beacon is well worth the climb for some of the finest views on Exmoor. Other popular day trips within a two hour drive are the Roman City of Bath, Wells, the city of Bristol, Glastonbury famed for its music festival, and the World Heritage Jurassic Coastline.
Alternatively, stay closer to home and enjoy everything the local area has to offer. The thriving Somerset village of Wheddon Cross has a small grocery store and a good pub serving food, and there are plenty of other good pubs in nearby villages. There are also fantastic opportunities for walkers and cyclists with miles of tracks and trails throughout Exmoor to explore as well as Exmoor wildlife safari's and Exmoor Pony Riding Centre.
- Internet Access
- Log Burner
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- Games Room
- Bike Storage
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
Quarme Valley Grange Continued
Accommodation is within this impressive Somerset Long House and guests have their own private entrance and facilities comprising:
- Dining room with extending table and six chairs (more are available), along with a side board and radio/CD player. Outside catering can be arranged for a celebratory meal, along with cakes for that special occasion such as a birthday.
- Kitchen well equipped with range style cooker, dishwasher, microwave and fridge/freezer. There are plenty of cupboards with pots, pans, crockery and cooking equipment.
- Separate utility room with back door leading to rear garden area and washing line. This room has a washing machine, tumble dryer, sink and plenty of space for storing coats, boots and outdoor gear.
- 'Snug' off the kitchen which serves well as a games room or bedroom for accommodating a seventh guest (there are two single beds).
- Lounge with comfy seating, television, DVD player (including small library of films), Gas fire and French doors that take you outside to the terrace with outside furniture - a lovely place for alfresco dining.
- A large landing area provides a nice sense of space with room to sit and enjoy a quiet moment (books and games provided).
- Two double bedrooms presented in a traditional manner, each with an en-suite with lovely roll-top bath, WC, wash basin and separate shower cubicle.
- Master super-king size bedroom which offers flexible sleeping and can be made up as two singles if required. This room also has an en-suite with roll-top bath, WC, wash basin and shower cubicle.
Outside: The grounds are extensive with wooded and lawn areas providing plenty of space to relax during the warmer months. A stream feeds four ponds (one large and three smaller ones) and a portable BBQ can be provided for those who want to dine outside. Please note: Children need to be supervised at all times when playing near the water. The property is approached via a shared farm lane and a driveway provides plenty of off-road parking.
Additional information: Central heating is charged at £50 per week if required. The tranquil location of the property limits WiFi internet access, however, an ethernet cable is provided in each bedroom to allow you to connect up online. Unfortunately no dogs but children are very welcome. No smoking. Towels and bed linen provided but please bring your own beach towels. Short breaks available by arrangement outside of peak periods and charged at 60% of the weekly rate for two nights, 65% for three nights and 75% for four nights - please enquire with the owner. Local supermarkets can be found at Minehead (twenty five miles away including Tesco, Morrison and also a Lidl coming soon) and Wellington (Waitrose). All of these deliver to the property. A £100 refundable deposit upon arrival is required and set against any unforeseen accidents and any excess cleaning. This is then returned within a week of departure. Arrival time is from 4pm and departure is by 10am. Please note there is limited mobile phone network coverage (EE and sometime Vodafone work). If the phone or FaceTime is required then guests can use the owner's office telephone and computer. Unfortunately no hen or stag parties or single sex groups.
Low Season from £620
Mid Season from £650
High Season from £850
Peak Season £850
Changeover Day: Saturday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 7 people in 3 bedrooms (1 Super-king/Twin, 2 Doubles & Play room with additional singles)
Owner: Beverley & Michael McDermott, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Quarme Valley Grange joined Independent Cottages in June 2016
Out of Season we can offer short breaks. 2 Nights 60% of weekly tariff 3 Nights 65% of weekly tariff 4 Nights 75% of weekly tariff Please telephone for further information
Last Minute / Late Availability Offers
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 9th August 2017
Approximate Location of Quarme Valley Grange
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book