Short House - Chesil Beach, Nr Bridport, Dorset, England - Sleeps 4
Short House is 400 yards across a lovely meadow to Chesil Beach, on Dorset's UNESCO World Heritage Jurassic Coast.
Sleeping four guests in two en-suite bedrooms, both with sea views (the bath off bedroom 2 also has a sea view), this delightful seaside cottage is a wonderful retreat for couples, families and friends for a holiday by the sea.
Recently completely refitted with a very high quality contemporary interior, Short House has a large open plan living/dining/kitchen open to the eaves, beautifully furnished and equipped to provide the perfect getaway at any time of the year in a truly stunning location. There are breathtaking views over Lyme Bay, lovely walks along the beach to Abbotsbury (dogs are welcome) or wander down to the beach for a dip as the sun goes down.
Abbotsbury Tropical Gardens (with a very good café) and the famous Swannery, are about 40 minutes walk along the beach track (or a five minute drive). Dating back to the 13th Century, The Swannery is the world’s only managed colony of (c. 600) mute swans - to walk amongst them is a memorable experience. Country Life Magazine judged the view from Wears Hill as the best natural view in England. The hilltop 13th century St Catherine’s Chapel in Abbotsbury also has fabulous views.
The Manor House Pub is a great village pub/restaurant in West Bexington, three quarters of a mile away. There is also a village shop/cafe by the beach car park. Driving along one of the most spectacular coast roads in England, Short House is under ten minutes drive from Hive Beach in Burton Bradstock for swimming off a lovely sandy beach and Hive Beach Café is an award winning café/fish restaurant.
A further five minutes on are West Bay and Bridport. The Saturday street market has a lovely atmosphere, including a brass band playing in the little square by the Bridport Arts Centre; which has a great programme of events. Bridport has a Waitrose and Morrison’s Supermarket. The Soul Shine Café and The Bull Inn are recommended for eating out. The Riverside Restaurant in West Bay is another favourite overlooking the charming harbour; the setting for the television series Broadchurch.
The county town of Dorchester is twenty five minutes away, with an Odeon cinema and great cafes, bars and restaurants, including Cote Brasserie, Carluccio's, Wagamama, Pizza Express, Zizzi and Nando's in Brewery Square, as well as shops and a spectacular fountain. The Dorset Museum, Teddy Bear Museum, Tutankhamen Exhibition, Terracotta Warriors Exhibition and the award winning Dinosaur Museum are also great attractions for children; ten minutes east of Dorchester is The Tank Museum in Bovington.
The UNESCO World Heritage Jurassic Coast needs little introduction with its famous attractions including Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove (both approximately twenty six miles from Short House). The classic seaside town of Weymouth is also very popular (thirty minutes drive) with its lovely sandy beach, bustling harbour and great selection of shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs and bars - perfect for some good old fashioned seaside fun!
- Internet Access
- Pub/Restaurant Nearby
- Waterside Location
- Beach Nearby
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Tennis Onsite
- Fishing Onsite
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
- Stables/Livery Onsite
Short House Continued
- Spacious sitting room - very comfy sofa with squashy cushions, three large upholstered armchairs, kilim, coffee and side tables, pink pouf, sideboard and a new forty two inch flat screen smart TV and DVD player, along with Bose Sound Dock with sockets for iPhone 4, 5 and 6.
- Main living area with a high ceiling, open to the roof ridge, double-glazed triple doors with views to the coastal ridge, two Velux skylights and two further windows overlooking the garden. There is dimmable room lighting and feature lighting.
- Dining area with dining table and seating for six (extending to eight), high chair and sideboard.
- Well equipped kitchen with electric hob and oven, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, double sink, toaster, kettle and plenty of pots, pans, cooking utensils, cutlery, glasses, chef knives and crockery (a microwave can be provided if required). Vegetables from the garden often find their way into the cottage kitchen - the owner's like to see the garden produce used!
- Bedroom one has sea views and a king-size bed (5 ft 6"), wardrobe, oak boarded floor, kilim rug and en suite bathroom with tub bath, hand shower and drencher shower (there is a washing machine/tumble dryer in this bathroom). West facing double glazed doors with purple velvet curtains lead out out from the bedroom onto the terrace with lovely sea views. There is also an additional south facing window with sea views.
- Bedroom two with standard size double bed (4 ft 6"), large antique wardrobe with drawers, two kilims and an en suite bathroom with tub bath and hand shower. This room also has a window with sea views and double glazed door leading out onto the terrace - the perfect place for morning coffee!
Outside: The terrace, with fantastic sea and country views, has a 6/8-seater dining table with a gigantic parasol, two reclining chairs and a side table. There is a Gertrude Jekyll bench overlooking the lawn.
Additional information: The cottage has free Wi-Fi, crisp cotton bed linen, feather and down duvets/pillows with anti allergy covers and towels are provided. Electricity and heating included in the price. Dogs welcome (but please bring dog beds). No smoking inside the property.
Short beaks available: Minimum of three nights - please enquire with the owner.
Low Season from £800
Mid Season from £900
High Season from £1100
Peak Season £1470
Pets: Yes 3 or more dogs allowed
Changeover Day: Flexible
Paypal, Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4 people in 2 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Double)
Owner: Andrew Wadsworth, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Short House joined Independent Cottages in Oct 2014
AVAILABILITY and prices are shown on the Short House website: www.short-house.co.uk
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 22nd September 2017