Crooked Oak Cottage - Queens Nympton, South Molton, Devon, England - Sleeps 4-6
Crooked Oak Cottage provides all the peace you want while still being close enough to beautiful beaches and countryside to pack your days full of fun and adventure. With space for up to six people in two bedrooms, it is a favourite with families, groups and couples who want to stay in comfort while exploring North Devon’s coastline and the Exmoor National Park.
Crooked Oak Cottage is set in five peaceful acres on Garramarsh Farm on the fringes of Alswear - a small but friendly hamlet with fantastic countryside views. South Molton is an easy five-minute drive or a gentle 20-minute cycle away. This charming market town has a good variety of amenities including Quince Honey Farm where you can buy locally produced honey from the largest exhibition of honey bees in the world, and if you have a sweet tooth, you should certainly not miss Melchior Chocolate Factory.
South Molton has a supermarket for your basics and a twice-weekly market held every Thursday and Saturday morning; and if you want a break from cooking, then you’ll find an excellent menu and a friendly welcome at pubs like The Castle Inn and the Poltimore Arms. The larger town of Barnstaple, which has more shops, pubs and restaurants, is 20 minutes from Crooked Oak Cottage, so you have everything you need within easy reach. It is also possible to order your shopping online for delivery on the day you arrive.
North Devon’s beaches are a magnet for outdoor lovers. Those closest to Crooked Oak Cottage include Westward Ho!, Ilfracombe, Woolacombe, Staunton Sands and Croyde (parking is free for NT members at Baggy Point for Croyde Bay) which are approximately 40 minutes scenic drive, and good for swimming and surfing. A more secluded option is Mortehoe Beach near Woolacombe which is only accessible by foot from the coastal footpath. It has excellent rock pools that are a favourite with children so remember to take nets and buckets. Adrenaline junkies should get in touch with one of the several excellent local firms who run coasteering and other exciting activities.
Exmoor is conveniently near to Crooked Oak Cottage. There is no end of fun to be had in the National Park whether you do it on foot, by bike or on horseback. The landscape can be both gentle and dramatic but is always stunning so book a guided tour or pick up a map of waymarked trails from the Amory Centre in South Molton to see it for yourself. One of the most popular is the Tarka Trail which wends its way through some of England's best countryside.
A really nice way to spend a day in North Devon is by having no agenda. Pack a picnic and just head out, finding and falling in love with picturesque villages and hamlets on the way. If you’re looking for inspiration, a favourite picnic spot is by the six arches of Withypool Bridge on the River Barle. Withypool has an excellent riverside cafe and a great pub, the Royal Oak if you manage to eat your sandwiches before you arrive.
The appeal of Crooked Oak Cottage is both in its location, surrounded by quiet countryside yet within reach of exciting attractions, and its lovely interior which the owners have furnished with their guests' comfort in mind.
- Internet Access
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Fishing Onsite
- Golf Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- Kingsize Bed
- Horse Riding Nearby
Crooked Oak Cottage Continued
Crooked Oak Cottage has a traditional layout, with an open plan living space on the ground floor, and the bedrooms and a generously sized family bathroom on the first floor.
- The spacious living/dining area has squashy leather couches which are perfect for flopping into after a busy day of exploring. There is a flat screen television with DVD player and Freeview satellite channels.
- The dining area has a traditional country style dresser, pine dining table and six chairs. It is cosy and relaxed, and ideal for family meals.
- A fitted modern kitchen has everything necessary to make self-catering simple, including an electric oven and stove, dishwasher, double sink, kettle, toaster, and fridge/freezer. There is ample crockery, cutlery and glasses for six guests, as well as a good range of cooking utensils and some basic non-perishable ingredients.
- The owners have installed a washing machine and tumble dryer for guests' use (plus clothes line outside and in the car port where you can dry wet suits and outdoor gear), and there is an iron and ironing board tucked neatly away in a cupboard under the stairs.
Both bedrooms are tastefully decorated in calming neutral shades.
- The master bedroom has a king sized bed with bedside tables and reading lamps. A wardrobe and chest of drawers provide plenty of storage so you can unpack and feel at home. There is space for a cot or cot bed.
- The second bedroom is furnished with two full sized single beds and twin bunk beds to sleep up to four guests. The single beds each have a bedside table and reading lamp, and the room has a wardrobe for further storage.
- A large family bathroom has a bath with shower attachment, corner shower cubicle, hand basin, WC and heated towel rail.
Outside: A paved patio area with garden furniture and a gas barbeque benefits from extensive views of the surrounding fields and countryside, and is a lovely place for sitting with a drink. Garramarsh Farm has 800m of private fishing rights (via the West Country River Trust Passport Scheme) on the River Mole. Off-road parking for several cars.
Additional Information: All utilities, linen and towels are included with the rental. The property has gas central heating. A cot, highchair, stair gate and toddler chair are available if required. Short breaks are possible depending on availability. No smoking. No pets. Saturday changeovers during peak season but flexible at other times of the year. Internet can be accessed via good 4G on a mobile phone.
Low Season from £420
Mid Season from £480
High Season from £500
Peak Season £540
Changeover Day: Saturday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4-6 people in 2 bedrooms (1 King & 1 Twin with extra bunk beds)
Owner: Lesley & Stuart Robinson, click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Crooked Oak Cottage joined Independent Cottages in Aug 2017
Owner's Other Properties
Last Minute / Late Availability Offers
Scroll calendar below or click to view 12 month availability calendar
Calendar last updated: 18th August 2017
Approximate Location of Crooked Oak Cottage
Comments From The Guest Book
Click on a thumbnail image below to read pages from the Guest Book