The Haystore - Self catering holiday cottage in Ravenstonedale, Kirkby Stephen, Howgills, Cumbria, The Lake District, England - Sleeps 4
One of three luxury dog friendly holiday cottages set in an idyllic location in the Eden Valley. The Haystore is Five Star rated and sleeps four guests in two ensuite bedrooms which can be made up as doubles or twins. The living accommodation in The Haystore can be linked to another cottage, The Byre, to accommodate parties of up to eight guests. If all three cottages are rented together, larger parties of up to fourteen can also be accommodated.
Situated between the National Parks of the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District, Green Barn Cottages are set in the Howgills, on the outskirts of the lovely village of Ravenstonedale. Although lost in the beautiful countryside, the cottages benefit from a convenient location being a mere fifteen minutes drive from the M6 at Tebay.
Surrounded by the fells and farmland, the location is perfect for anyone who enjoys walking or touring, sightseeing, cycling or simply relaxing amongst beautiful and tranquil surroundings where you can enjoy the views out to Wild Boar Fell, Ash Fell, Mallerstang Edge and beyond.
The driveway to the cottage leads directly out onto the fell, where you can have a gentle stroll along the side of Artlegarth Beck, or across Paradise. You can also start a more serious day’s walking from your very doorstep. There are many local interests and activities to enjoy such as a golf course in Ravenstonedale, tennis in the village and trout fishing at Bessy Beck Fishery on still water, or on the River Eden for which day tickets are readily available. The village is just one mile away where you will find a small shop for the morning paper and essentials and two pubs/restaurants serving good food. The market town of Kirkby Stephen is only six miles away and Kendal, Sedbergh and Penrith are all within easy reach. You can also travel on the famous Settle to Carlisle railway from the station at Kirkby Stephen.
This area is a haven for wildlife and offers the opportunity to possibly spot buzzards and curlews along with the more common species. Red Squirrels which are now virtually non-existent in most parts of the country are regular visitors to the cottage grounds and although shy, they are easy to watch and photograph as they take the hazelnuts from the boxes. The local Fell Ponies are usually close by and a delight to see whilst the sheep grazing the adjoining land are always a pleasure to watch and provide good entertainment in the spring when you can watch the antics of the spring lambs.
Standing in the grounds of the owners’ Victorian farmhouse, this beautiful stone barn has been sympathetically converted by local craftsmen to provide three luxury holiday cottages, each completely self-contained. All the cottages are very well insulated and have underfloor heating, making it lovely and warm at any time of the year. There is also a wood-burning stove in the comfortable lounge providing the perfect place to curl up in front of after an exciting day exploring the area.
The bedrooms all have comfortable superking-size beds which can also be arranged as two singles to provide greater flexibility, and the bathrooms have good showers and whirlpool baths.
Within your cottage there’s a washing machine and tumble dryer, and you’ll find the fully fitted well equipped kitchen is the perfect place to prepare an evening meal after you have picked up some of Cumbria's excellent local produce. There is also a dishwasher so that you don’t have to wash up on your holiday!
- Log Burner
- Near Pub/Restaurant
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Internet Access
- Golf Facilities Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
The Haystore sleeps four guests in two double (or twin) bedrooms. The holiday cottage is on two levels, with a gallery, and has underfloor heating throughout provided by the ground source heat pumps. The heating is controllable in all rooms, and is included in the price. Unfortunately pets cannot be accepted in this cottage (please see The Carthouse and The Byre if you want to bring your dog). The cottage also operates a 'No smoking' policy whilst inside. There is parking by the cottage for two cars and more by arrangement.
This charming cottage was built “upside down”, with the bedrooms on the ground floor and living area above and accommodation and facilities comprise:
- Private entrance through one of the original stable doors of the barn into a porch and “muddy boot” area.
- Utility room with a washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Two double or twin bedrooms, each with full en-suite facilities including a whirlpool bath specially shaped for showering, with a thermostatically controlled mains-pressure shower over, and a towel warmer. The comfortable six foot superking-size beds can be split into two singles, so the bedrooms can be arranged as twins if required. One of the bedrooms also benefits from French doors with steps leading up to the rear grounds.
- Superb and comfortably furnished upstairs living area with two comfortable sofas and French doors which open onto a private terrace with table and chairs, where you can smoke if you wish or go out onto the rear grounds. This room has a wonderful stone fireplace with a wood-burning stove which provides a beautiful focal point and a supplement to the underfloor heating in the coldest weather. There is an LCD television with Freeview satellite, which also receives radio channels, and a DVD player/recorder to enable you to watch a film in the evenings, record your favourites if you’re out, and play music CD’s.
- Dining area with a table and eight chairs and plenty of good quality crockery, cutlery and glasses are provided.
- Fully fitted kitchen with double oven, halogen hob, fridge/freezer, microwave, slow-cooker crockpot and a dishwasher, with plenty of storage space.
Additional information: For a large group the owners can connect the upstairs living areas of The Byre and The Haystore which are normally separated by twin solid firedoors and soundproofing. A discount is offered if there is only one couple booking the cottage. Prices include linen, electricity, central heating and towels. Weekend and midweek breaks are available at any time of the year.
Low Season from £415
Mid Season from £545
High Season from £695
Peak Season £755
Star Rating: 5 Star
Changeover Day: Flexible
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 4 people in 2 bedrooms (2 doubles/Twin bedrooms)
Group booking details:
Please note: The Haystore sleeps 4 people. The owner has 3 properties which, when booked together, can accommodate up to 14 guests. Dining capacity: 0.
Contact owner for group prices
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Anne Rochford click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
The Haystore joined Independent Cottages in May 2008