The Carthouse - Self catering holiday cottage, Ravenstonedale, Kirkby Stephen, Howgills, Cumbria, The Lake District, England - Sleeps 6
One of three luxury dog friendly holiday cottages set in an idyllic location in the Eden Valley. The Carthouse has a Four Star Gold rating and sleeps six guests in three bedrooms which can be made up as doubles or twins and also benefits from two bathrooms. There are also facilities for guests with limited mobility so please discuss your personal requirements with the owner.
Situated between the National Parks of the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District, Green Barn Cottages are set in the Howgills, on the outskirts of the lovely village of Ravenstonedale. Although lost in the beautiful countryside, the cottages benefit from a convenient location being a mere fifteen minutes drive from the M6 at Tebay.
Surrounded by the fells and farmland, the location is perfect for anyone who enjoys walking or touring, sightseeing, cycling or simply relaxing amongst beautiful and tranquil surroundings where you can enjoy the views out to Wild Boar Fell, Ash Fell, Mallerstang Edge and beyond.
The driveway to the cottage leads directly out onto the fell, where you can have a gentle stroll along the side of Artlegarth Beck, or across Paradise. You can also start a more serious day’s walking from your very doorstep. There are many local interests and activities to enjoy such as a golf course in Ravenstonedale, tennis in the village and trout fishing at Bessy Beck Fishery on still water, or on the River Eden for which day tickets are readily available. The village is just one mile away where you will find a small shop for the morning paper and essentials and two pub/restaurants serving good food. The market town of Kirkby Stephen is only six miles away and Kendal, Sedbergh and Penrith are all within easy reach. You can also travel on the famous Settle to Carlisle railway from the station at Kirkby Stephen.
This area is a haven for wildlife and offers the opportunity to possibly spot buzzards and curlews along with the more common species. Red Squirrels which are now virtually non-existent in most parts of the country are regular visitors to the cottage grounds and although shy, they are easy to watch and photograph as they take the hazelnuts from the boxes. The local Fell Ponies are usually close by and a delight to see whilst the sheep grazing the adjoining land are always a pleasure to watch and provide good entertainment in the spring when you can watch the antics of the spring lambs.
Standing in the grounds of the owners’ Victorian farmhouse, this beautiful stone barn has been sympathetically converted by local craftsmen to provide three luxury holiday cottages, each completely self-contained. All the cottages are very well insulated and have underfloor heating, making it lovely and warm at any time of the year. There is also a wood-burning stove in the comfortable lounge providing the perfect place to curl up in front of after an exciting day exploring the area.
The bedrooms all have comfortable superking-size beds which can also be arranged as two singles to provide greater flexibility, the bathroom has a good shower and whirlpool bath, and there’s a ground floor wetroom.
Within your cottage there’s a washing machine and tumble dryer, and you’ll find the fully fitted well equipped kitchen is the perfect place to prepare an evening meal after you have picked up some of Cumbria's excellent local produce. There is also a dishwasher so that you don’t have to wash up on your holiday!
- Log Burner
- Near Pub/Restaurant
- Garden/Outside Area
- iPod Docking
- Bike Storage
- Internet Access
- Golf Facilities Nearby
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
- Kingsize Bed
The Carthouse sleeps six guests in three double (or twin) bedrooms. The cottage is on three levels, and benefits from underfloor heating throughout with the exception of the top bedroom which has a radiator. The heating is provided by ground source heat pumps and is included within the price and fully controllable. For guests with limited mobility who may not be able to manage the stairs, there is a comfortable day bed in the ground floor lounge.
- Private entrance, with ramped access for wheelchair users, which enters into a hallway.
- Ground floor comfortable lounge which has a stone fireplace with a wood-burning stove to provide a cosy feature, or to supplement the underfloor heating on those more chilly nights. There’s a glazed door giving light and access to the outside, where there’s an old stone store big enough for bicycles.
- Lounge which is equipped with an LCD television with Freeview satellite, which also receives radio channels, and a DVD player/recorder to enable you to watch a movie in the evenings, record your favourites if you’re out, and play music CD’s.
- Large kitchen and dining area is off the lounge, which has lovely exposed stonework and French doors to the outside where steps lead up to the rear grounds. The dining area has a table and chairs and plenty of good quality crockery, cutlery and glasses are provided. The kitchen has a peninsular breakfast bar and is fully fitted with a double oven, halogen hob, separate fridge and freezer, microwave, slow-cooker crockpot and a dishwasher, plus a washer/dryer for the laundry and plenty of storage space.
- Large wetroom which has been designed with the needs of disabled guests in mind, with wide access and grab rails, and is equipped with a thermostatically controlled mains-pressure shower, wash basin and WC and a thermostatically controlled towel warmer with an adjustable temperature setting.
- Two fully furnished bedrooms on the first floor, both with comfortable six foot superking-size beds which can be split into two singles if desired, plus a bathroom fitted with washbasin, WC, towel warmer and a whirlpool bath specially shaped for showering, with a thermostatically controlled mains-pressure shower over. The master bedroom has its own washbasin and shaver point.
- Third bedroom up another flight of stairs in the apex of the barn, again with a comfortable six foot superking-size bed which can be split into two singles if desired. This bedroom is heated by its own individually controlled radiator rather than underfloor, and has velux windows with a good view of Wild Boar Fell. Headroom is restricted only at the extremities of the bedroom, so it is fine for adults.
Additional information: Prices include linen, electricity, central heating and towels. Short breaks and late availability offers may be available - please enquire with the owner. There is car parking for three cars.
Low Season from £495
Mid Season from £655
High Season from £855
Peak Season £920
Star Rating: 4 Star
Changeover Day: Sunday
Cheque, Bank Transfer
Sleeps 6 people in 3 bedrooms (3 doubles/twins + single day bed available in lounge for disabled guests)
Owner: Anne Rochford click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
The Carthouse joined Independent Cottages in May 2008
Last Minute / Late Availability OffersSun, 30 Jun 2013 for 7 nights - £715
Sleeps 6 in 3 double or twin bedroomsSun, 14 Jul 2013 for 7 nights - £785
Sleeps 6 in 3 double or twin bedrooms.