Derwent Lea - Self catering holiday cottage in Applethwaite, Keswick, Cumbria, The Lake District, England - Sleeps 8
Derwent Lea is located within the pretty, highly sought-after village of Applethwaite which only has a few dozen houses and is just two miles from the popular town of Keswick. It is a sleepy little hamlet with hens, ducks, goats and sheep wandering over the lane and as the lane does not take you anywhere, it is quiet from traffic and safe for pets and children to wander.
Riotous garden blooms of azalea and rhododendron brighten up the side of the lane and streams cascade down Skiddaw on their way to the River Derwent, and tumble merrily beside the road and farmsteads.
Whilst this location is wonderfully peaceful it is only a mile and a half from Keswick, with all it has to offer. You can walk there along the road, or on one of the many paths cutting through the village, on their way up to Skiddaw, Latrigg, or into the woods around.
Keswick is at the heart of the scenic Lake District, with lakes to explore, mountains to climb and scores of attractions to enjoy and things to do for example:
- Lake Derwentwater, with launches, canoes, sailing dinghies and windsurfers for hire.
- Paragliding fundays or tandem flights.
- The Theatre of the Lakes and Keswick Cinema.
- 'Cars of the Stars' museum '.
- Mirehouse', country house where Tennyson wrote the Morte d'Arthur.
- 'Trotters and friends' pets farm.
- Cycle and tandem hire.
- Keswick climbing wall.
- Keswick pencil museum - where it all began.
- Quad biking and karting at Rookin House.
- Riding at Armathwaite Hall.
- Hundreds of walks.
- Every kind of outdoor shop you could imagine.
- Dozens of pubs and restaurants serving good value meals.
- Open Fire
- Near Pub/Restaurant
- Garden/Outside Area
- Bike Storage
- Off-Road Parking
- Satellite/cable TV
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- CD Player
Derwent Lea sleeps eight guests in four bedrooms. It is surrounded by a lovely garden, in which children and pets can play in safety.
Accommodation and facilities comprise:
- Lounge which looks out at the wonderful view, and is comfortably furnished with a coal fire, colour television and video.
- Fitted well equipped kitchen with built-in electric cooker, microwave, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, washing machine and tumble drier.
- Dining room which shares the fabulous view and offers a table and seating large enough to accommodate eight.
- The master bedroom with a double bed and views.
- Double bedroom.
- Twin bedroom with two single beds.
- Bunk bed room with full sized bunks.
- Bathroom which features bath, shower, washbasin and WC and a very useful airing cupboard.
- Second washroom downstairs with WC and washbasin.
Additional information: Bedding is (sheets and duvets) provided for you with the exception of towels (please bring your own). There is also a cot, high chair and an iron. Oil fired central heating is included within the price, along with electricity and coal. There is no additional charge for dogs (although dogs are limited to a maximum of 2).
Low Season from £650
Mid Season from £690
High Season from £990
Peak Season £1190
Changeover Day: Friday
Paypal, Cheque, Credit Card
Sleeps 8 people in 6 bedrooms (2 Doubles, 1 Twin and Bunk Bed room)
Group booking details:
All male groups: Please enquire with owner
All female groups: Please enquire with owner
Catering Available: No
Owner: Ian & Jennifer Hall click Contact Details for owner´s phone number and email address.
Derwent Lea joined Independent Cottages in July 2008